Yamaha going to triple

We have a 4 cylinder Apex and a 3 cylinder Nytro at my shop. The Nytro makes a bit more bottom end, but you don't see anyone fighting to take it when it's a long day on the trail. The Apex wins that category hands down. I could see a triple being fun in certain applications, but the 998 inline 4 is a magical engine.

Dropping down a cylinder would be nice. There would probably be a noticeable increase in torque or the torque curve while still allowing high revs.

Although, if it was up to me I would do a V4, thin as a twin, HP like a I4 with a linear power curve. Damn I miss my VFR. If Honda released a V4 type 1000rr I'm sold before it hits the showroom floor. :fencers:

Sounds like Yamaha is trying to use the triple to rev up it's marketing like they did back in the day with the 5-valve engine. There was no real advantage to it, but if four valves were good then five had to be better. Eventually they abandoned that. And they have produced a triple before, but now Triumph and MV Agusta have already beaten Yamaha to the punch so I doubt it will have the impact that they hope for. The last great idea Yamaha had was the EXUP valve ;)

Last edited:
Sounds like Yamaha is trying to use the triple to rev up it's marketing like they did back in the day with the 5-valve engine. There was no real advantage to it, but if four valves were good then five had to be better. Eventually they abandoned that. And the they have produced a triple before, but now Triumph and MV Agusta have already beaten Yamaha to the punch so I doubt it will have the impact that they hope for. The last great idea Yamaha had was the EXUP valve ;)
A triple may drop a bit of weight? that would be nice

Thanks for sharing...

A 3 cylinder 600 or 800 would be interesting, the smaller fazer and the r6 could definitely use more torque, but i'm not so sure about the 1000cc engines though...

Every so often people say the Japanese m/c industry is hidebound ... back in the 70's we had the UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) concept, an inline 4 cylinder engine, telescopic forks, twin shock suspension, and individual carbs for each cylinder. Look how far that concept has come in 35 years. It's not whether you have 2, 3, 4 or 5 cylinder machines, it's how they are packaged for maximum fun and performance and in that regard the Japanese industry is way behind. C'mon, why is Yamaha still peddling a 2006 design (which was already old conceptually at the time of introduction) in 2013? They need new modern designs and performance. And that takes more than going with a 3 cylinder engine.

That article is from last October but Yamaha hasn't said much more about the triples since then.

It's most likely that if Yamaha does go to triples in their R series, it will be to whatever spec the WSB rules allow.

With Honda announcing that new V4 superbike to compete in WSB, Yamaha will need to do something unique and hope it wins races and sells on the showroom.

I'm of the opinion that if Yamaha doesn't want to get left in the weeds as far as sales goes, they better come up with a couple twins in the 500-750 class. That hasn't been a big seller in the past but if you've looked at what Honda is offering this year and a couple they haven't even released yet, I'm pretty sure the trend is going to change an litre bikes making over 100 H.P. are going to be sucking hind-teet as far as sales go. I understand that the younger group may still get off on the high numbers that can't really even be used on the street, but most of us that have been in the sport for the last 40 years or so have already been there, done that, and are looking at machines that are more "user friendly" so to speak. We also Have more of the $$. That's the one thing that has kept HD afloat for the past twenty years at least. I've already made the decision that a 500 twin making 40-50 H.P. makes more sense than my FZ1 when it comes to the riding I do today. In fact, I just refurbed an 82 CM450 and I get a real charge ridinging that old relic around. Gets darned near twice the mileage too.

Last edited:
Lonerider I don't disagree with you about the small bike market. Last year the Ninja 250 and the CBR250 were great sellers. Now there's a new and improved Ninja 300 and Honda came out with a trio of 500cc bikes. If there wasn't money to be made in that segment they wouldn't be bothering.

Well all Japanese manufactures make almost all their money with small bikes in the asian market. Yamaha sells almost 1 mio bikes a year! Honda much much more.

I think the development will be to continue to have powerful bikes for the US and EU market. The customers there just want powerful bikes so most can not control them. See how traction controls are common in most powerful bikes, in EU there is almost no bike without ABS and more and more get traction controls, adaptable suspension and other assistance systems. This is the new development, just like in the sports cars, make them drivable for everyone.

Personally I would prefer to have more light weight bikes with less gadgets, so I think ABS is a great system and should be included. A 675cc triplet is more than powerful enough and can be a all you need bike (see the street triple). Yamaha is so reliable that for sure they would be a strong competitor for Triumph, MV Augusta is a small company which sells only negligible numbers of bikes and this is IMO always problematic. Yes I think Yamaha can make lots of profit with a new designed bike, I just hope they do not overload it with gadgets.

One reason why I like the Fz1 is that she is so simple compared to most other sport touring bikes.

motorcycles used to be designed for americans and the rest of the world would get what sold well here now the tides have changed now we get some of what sells around the world does anybody know of a new advanced motorcycle being released in the USA motus is the only bike i can think of

I understand that the younger group may still get off on the high numbers that can't really even be used on the street, but most of us that have been in the sport for the last 40 years or so have already been there, done that, and are looking at machines that are more "user friendly" so to speak. We also Have more of the $$. That's the one thing that has kept HD afloat for the past twenty years at least.

lolup I have no idea what you're talking about. :bs::bs::bs::smokin2:

I bought my Fz6 and then Fz1 because they are the only thing close to a sport bike performance in a more comfortable ergonomic package for my 6'4" frame.

I looked at HD but didn't like it for a number of reasons. Ugly 70s styling. Small tanks with low riding ranges (then I got an Fz1 that averages 29mpg, wtf right?). lazy boy/fat bastard riding position. Not to be one of 'those guys' (most of the guys on HD's here in AZ are either in an MC or they are short fat douche bags). Oh yeah, and they look like they are slow as hell especially for the amount of engine displacement. I love whipping past an HD in the mid RPM range and knowing I have a few thousand more RPM to go and 3 more gears. Finally, I hate the sound of their exhaust.

I've already decided on the choice between my next 2 bikes, A Tuono V4 R or Hyper Motard. I'll probably keep the Fz1 unless I'm totally done with it in the year or 2 when I'll make the move. The only way I would stay with Yamaha is if they gave a serious revamp to the Fz1

motorcycles used to be designed for americans and the rest of the world would get what sold well here now the tides have changed now we get some of what sells around the world does anybody know of a new advanced motorcycle being released in the USA motus is the only bike i can think of

That is a too american view of the world. Sorry but in Europe you get different MC than here and this is already since decades so. HD does not really sell significant numbers in the EU. Just look at all the naked bikes in the EU and all the manufactures from Italy and Germany. BMW sells most of it bikes in Germany and always made bikes for Germans (tall).

However I agree that the beginner bikes now offered in the US and EU are products which might sell soon in Asia.

I've already decided on the choice between my next 2 bikes, A Tuono V4 R or Hyper Motard. I'll probably keep the Fz1 unless I'm totally done with it in the year or 2 when I'll make the move. The only way I would stay with Yamaha is if they gave a serious revamp to the Fz1

Well the Tuono has again a sportbike engine which suffers from the same problems as the Fz1. The hypermotard is something completely different, very short range, fun bike and requires completely different riding technique.

I think learning to corner is your next step and trying to master the Fz1 will take you years, maybe 5-10 at least!

Well the Tuono has again a sportbike engine which suffers from the same problems as the Fz1. The hypermotard is something completely different, very short range, fun bike and requires completely different riding technique.

Hypermotard is coming out with a larger tank later in this year, and yes I get it would be a different riding style. And I don't see a problem with the Fz1 engine other than it guzzles gas, but it's an entertainment expense

I think learning to corner is your next step and trying to master the Fz1 will take you years, maybe 5-10 at least!

BAH, 5-10 months, LOL. I've got 1500 miles in the last month after my crash. My goal is to average 1500 miles a month, a good 50/50 split between commuting and sport riding. Since there is a glut of 3-4 year old bikes out there with only 5-8k miles on them, I know I would get more riding in this year than a lot of people will do in a lifetime.

I'll have a video up later today or tomorrow of the ride I took yesterday. I could start to feel the difference in going through speedy sweepers and where the suspension was working and where the tires were working. When the suspension is in its sweet spot, I can feel the spring is a little soft for my fat ass.

Next step I think is track days. Problem is the FZ1 is my main mode of transportation. I need to get a second bike or a car/truck so that if I dump it at the track I can still get around.

I'm not sure the Tuono has an engine that suffers much at all, unless you want to ride it like a Hardly Moovinson and dogg it around town under 2k.

2012-aprilia-tuono-v4r-vs-2011-aprilia-rsv4-r-dyno-3.jpg
2012-literbike-streetfighter-shootout-hp-dyno-1.jpg

lolup

Back