WTK Best Match Engine Paint for Silver Gen1

I recently bought a 2002 Gen 1 from a fellow board member here in Atlanta. I really like the bike, but the clutch case was badly scarred where a previous owner had a laid it down. This would not be such a big problem if every single dork that takes a look at my bike did not feel the need to point this minor flaw out to me, as if I had never seen it! Even my friends!

So tonight I tried to do something about it, short of buying new cases. I am not sure how others have done this, or if, but I polished the scratches out!

I must say, I think that it is going to look pretty good, specially compared to the old road rash. I really wish that I had taken a before picture!

So much for the back story, what would the group recommend as the best silver engine paint to match that of the factory on a 2002 Gen 1?

If you can still find it PJ1 had Yamaha case silver. The other option is to find a good quality spray paint that is as close to original as possible.

Steve

If you can still find it PJ1 had Yamaha case silver. The other option is to find a good quality spray paint that is as close to original as possible.

Steve
Thanks Steve, I had not heard of PJ1, but my Googleing yields a part number of PJ17SLV for the Yamaha Silver Case Paint. It looks like it runs 8-10$US, so that looks like my plan!

This is what I got so far, it was very badly scarred when I started. Altogether, I am happy with the results and I think that it will look even better with the correct paint!

RepairedCase.jpg

In 2009 I repainted the engine covers on my 02.

First I bead blasted the parts. Then I painted using Dupli-color ceramic engine enamel. The primer is DE-1612 and the silver top coat is DE-1615. The color match is very good. I haven't had anyone notice the repaint.

I have over 32k miles since the work and they still look great.

Back