Writing new postt

Short crappy demo video

Editedt Cruise2 - YouTube

I take no responsibility if you chose to do this. This is not “a how to” but how I did.
Rostra will not offer assistance to mount these to motorcycles. That said many people have successfully done this on many different models and brands of bikes.

So the unit is a Rostra 250-1223 a universal electronic Cruise (No vacuum needed). The controller/switch I used is their RF (Wireless) 250-1483. Also needed is VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) Divider 250-437.
To fit this you will need to have removed the EXUP Servo as this is the only place where the unit will fit. The unit will also only fit upside down. No great problem but the micro switches and self-diagnosis LED are then on the bottom and inaccessible. You have to remove the whole unit to change any switch position etc.

Main unit/Servo
Here are some pics with sizes.

DSCF0044.jpg

DSCF0043.jpg

DSCF0045.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

As you can see in the photos, the intended top side is flat and the bottom curved. Fortunately sliding the unit into position with the curved surface up gives sufficient room for the fuel tank to curve around it.

DSCF0035.jpg

The bracket to mount it is a bit rough but until everything is proven, I’ll use it.

DSCF0047.jpg

This is how close the tank comes to the unit, very close. So close that I put some split tube around the bottom of the tank so it won’t chip the paint if it moves on the rubber mounts.

DSCF0063.jpg

Cable Routing

I routed the cable from the main unit firstly to the right rear and down to the gearbox, across to the left side and back up to the left chassis rail. I then followed that along the side of the engine and under the ECU where it loops around to face the throttle connection. This gives as large bends as possible and uses up all the available length.
The Throttle connection.
This is critical so no jamming can occur.
For the cable anchor, I bought some 12mmx3mm Alloy bar and made this to clamp in the OEM anchor point.

DSCF0049.jpg

With some trial fitting, it needed to be longer and have about an inch offset both to the side and back towards the front of the bike. Looks like this now.

DSCF0054.jpg

For the pulled point, I didn’t like any of the points available so I made an arm up. This mounts off the side of the throttle sheave (pulley). There is a 6mm nut on the right side. The shaft is 6mm but flat on two sides. My arm has a slotted hole to mount snugly on the shaft and a couple of bends to keep the cable offset. I made it from an RC Model Aircraft ARF engine mount clamp. It’s important to get the angle of pull, offset and length correct. Also I tapped the pivot point at the top of the arm so the screw only holds the eyelet loosely. A locknut on the other side with Loctite stops everything coming loose. After fitting the cable, I also used some shrink tubing so the cable does not come back through the wrong side when the cruise is not being used. This is the 1st attempt. It needs to be as long as possible without hanging up on the chassis. Make it log and bend the offsets a little at a time to achieve the max length.

DSCF0051.jpg

WIRING

DSCF0037.jpg

Looks a bit daunting but really only a few connections needed. Power, Neg, Brake, VSS and A Rev connection. No clutch cut is needed as if you use the Revs connection an increase in revs without a corresponding increase in speed will cut the cruise. Also the main problem is everything is way too long so I bought some new connectors and shortened everything up.
Power
You need a switched power connection. I used a Piggyback fuse holder to tap into the headlight fuse point. Like this one.

Piggy%20Back%20Fuse.jpg

Brake

You only need one connection as the circuit is activated by either front or rear brakes. You can with a relay use your LED rear light but I had problems probably unrelated but for simplicity I went back to a normal unit. The connection is on the right side, trace the rear brake wire up and it will be obvious.

VSS

If you have a speedo DRD or Healer fitted, you need to tap into the VSS wire brfor it goes to the DRD or Healer. From memory, it’s the pink wire in the three wire harness that comes from the left rear of the gearbox. I used a Posi Tap for this.
Revs

This is the connector for the revs wire. You can trace it up from the right hand crankcase. CHECK THIS OUT!!!! Connect to the green wire.

DSCF0058_1.jpg

DSCF0056.jpg

Last edited:
Back