Would you plug a tire.

M.Martin

I just checked my bike over for a ride in the morning and discovered a nail in the center tread of the rear tire. I plugged the tire. I don't feel comfortable about it. Any input would be great. Anyone ever have any issues with a plug? I just put the tires on in April. I plan to check the pressure in the morning before I head out and keep an eye on it.

Your going to get all sorts of "yes I plugged my tire and it's fine" and "if you plug a tire your going to die". I own a tire shop and a licensed auto tech and the only proper way is to remove the tire and do the repair from the inside. Tire plugs work great as a temporary repair but never trust a plug. Some do work themselves out and a deflating tire at speed is never a good thing. The best repair is to remove the tire, check the inside for any damage from the puncture and possibly retrieve what ever went in the tire. Then do a vulcanized repair which basically cooks tire rubber into the puncture which becomes one with the tire so it's impossible for it too work off. If someone brings in their bike tire the charge for the repair is only $20 so it's inexpensive.

Many people are perfectly fine with plugging a motorcycle tire,, I'm not one of them ! Maybe to make it home but after that no way.

My life is worth more than a tire.

I understand plugs can work very well. 17 years in the landscape business I've probably plugged more tires than most. Just not worth the risk to me on a motorcycle.

Your going to get all sorts of "yes I plugged my tire and it's fine" and "if you plug a tire your going to die". I own a tire shop and a licensed auto tech and the only proper way is to remove the tire and do the repair from the inside. Tire plugs work great as a temporary repair but never trust a plug. Some do work themselves out and a deflating tire at speed is never a good thing. The best repair is to remove the tire, check the inside for any damage from the puncture and possibly retrieve what ever went in the tire. Then do a vulcanized repair which basically cooks tire rubber into the puncture which becomes one with the tire so it's impossible for it too work off. If someone brings in their bike tire the charge for the repair is only $20 so it's inexpensive.

I agree with this. I have used plugs to get me out of trouble, but I get the tyre repaired properly ASAP at a bike shop. Never had a problem....

I carry a plug kit and have used it to get me home, but the next trip is to the bike shop for a new tire. Tires are expensive but as long as you have to get the tire off the rim anyway to do a proper plug repair I'd just as soon replace the tire. Only if the puncture was in the center of the tread and the tire was almost new would I entertain a plug. It's further compounded by the fact that most bike shops won't do any kind of puncture repair on m/c tires anymore.

But after you plug a tire. Are u still able to vulcanize it?

I hope so, a proper patch will allow the tire to
live-long-and-prosper-tee-shirt-cbs114b.jpg

But after you plug a tire. Are u still able to vulcanize it?

Yes, we just remove the plug then buff the area about for about a 3" diameter, clean then add vulcanizing glue, cut strips of vulcanizing rubber and use a tool to push the rubber through the hole. More rubber is then added to the inside over the damaged area. The tire is then cooked in a tire vulcanizer which is basically a press with two heating elements that cook the rubber into the tire from the inside and out. This is a permanent repair and no need to replace the tire.

+1 to Ruggybuggy

i carry a plug kit and a co2 inflator on my bike to get me where i am going. but at first chance i get it patched properly. if the tire is old, i will order a new one and swap it out at home.

tires do cost $$$, but as already stated, tires are cheaper than medical bills or fixing the bike bills.

I've plugged plenty of rear tyres but only the mushroom type that you install from inside the tyre, never had a problem.
I had 2 in my last Pilot Power, those suckers seem to pick up every nail on the road.

Sent from my GT-I9300

I'll happily plug a rear tyre and forget it except for pressure checks. I doubt I would plug a front for more than a 1 kilometre ride though.

I carry a plug kit with the mushroom plugs and a Slime air compressor. I've never had to use it but my intentions are to plug and ride within the speed limits until I can get the vulcanized repair work. I've got no issues riding on plugged tires but I'll not push the bike at all until I get it properly fixed. Not worth the risk for the money.

I'll happily plug a rear tyre and forget it except for pressure checks. I doubt I would plug a front for more than a 1 kilometre ride though.

If you plugged your rear tire without ever removing it from the rim how do you know if something isn't rolling around inside or that nail that goes in at an angle and damages the sidewall. Just saying.

Riding a bike is risky enough, why add to it.

Has anyone ever had a plug fail? I've been using plugs in my cars for years and never had one fail. I think some would reconsider the whole plug idea if you were riding home after just replacing a tire with a nail in it and you picked up another nail. What do you do? Turn right back around a buy another tire. At that point a plug starts to seem like a pretty good idea.

Has anyone ever had a plug fail? I've been using plugs in my cars for years and never had one fail. I think some would reconsider the whole plug idea if you were riding home after just replacing a tire with a nail in it and you picked up another nail. What do you do? Turn right back around a buy another tire. At that point a plug starts to seem like a pretty good idea.

How about vulcanizing it, you don't have to replace the tire. I've repaired many plugged tires because they were leaking.

I guess it comes down to what you find as acceptable risk. I you want to drive or ride on plug tires have at it. There is an increase in the risk of the plug coming out but if that's totally your decision. It kind of like this, we all know our bikes take Z rated tires. If you could find a cheap bias ply tire that was the 3rd the cost and had a lower speed rating would you use it? It would work perfectly well but there would be a increase risk in using it. Some guys just don't want the hassle of removing the tire and paying for the cost of a repair. Stick a plug in it and it's fixed but it comes with the condition of increase risk. It all comes down to what is acceptable to you.

Last edited:
Has anyone ever had a plug fail? I've been using plugs in my cars for years and never had one fail.

17 years in the landscape business I've plugged about a billion tires and probably had a million fail ;)

I'd plug one to get home then if the tire has less than 50% -60%of it's life left replace it. More than 50% maybe do a patch from the inside.

I had 2 in my last Pilot Power, those suckers seem to pick up every nail on the road.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Maybe it's the front tire that's the problem. Front tire pics up the nail, stone, glass or whatever and stands it up then the rear tire get the puncture. I bet you 80% of the tires that are fixed at our shop are rears.

Maybe it's the front tire that's the problem. Front tire pics up the nail, stone, glass or whatever and stands it up then the rear tire get the puncture. I bet you 80% of the tires that are fixed at our shop are rears.

That's been a theory for years, and does seem to make sense. I've never had a puncture on a front tire, and about 4 on the rear.

Back