Wishful thinking...the trailer I'd like to build

I can convert my hf 4x8 heavy duty into a lite toy hauler:

rearwharley.jpg

But a little more cushy.
image.php

Just ran across these while I was thinking about re-doing my trailer.

Humm, that second pic makes me wonder what will happen to the bags when you hit the pot hole in corner. Seems a bit tight for the bagger but may just work for the FZ.

What if my Yamaha is the Hauler?

Hauled by a Yamaha?:
After giving this some more thought, I realized that my first Tiny Trailer should be one to pull behind the bike not the car. Why? Because most of my camping is done from the bike. With that in mind, I got to thinking about an design then made a model out of priorty mail boxes.

The idea is to have a camper to pull behind the bike. One that could hold my stuff and convert to a place to sleep once at the site. I found a design I like a lot better than the tear drop form and got to cutting and taping so I could figure out how to make it do what I want.

In tow mode:
GEDC0289.JPG

Expanding:
GEDC0288.JPG

In camp mode:
GEDC0287.JPG

You can't tell from that angle but there's a flap over the openings.

My moto-hubby is designing/making a cargo trailer to pull behind his bike so I will consult with him on the trailer platform for this thing.
Trailer_almost_ready.jpg

Imagine: single wheel camper! With this design, the camper can sit right above the wheel and have jacks for stability while camped. Moto-hubby has approved the design but not the part about him building the trailer platform. Now I have to ask, will I actually do this?

Yamahauler: I have two ideas for this. A cargo trailer top and a camper top. I'll try to adapt the same design for the camper top. My idea is to make them so they can be removed and used to suit the need. Using the foamie technique, they'll be light enough to do this.

In the meantime, once I get back from my trip I plan to go to HF to pick up my chock (with a coupon from one of the mags I have) then to the big box store to get a new floor for my trailer.

This is my Yamahauler in it's current configuration:
12310005.JPG

(Disregard the Suzuki)

At this time I don't have a chock and those ramps are heavy as $#@%! I need to figure out how to mount the ramps below the trailer so they don't have to be moved so far to be used.

Hauled by a Yamaha?:
After giving this some more thought, I realized that my first Tiny Trailer should be one to pull behind the bike not the car. Why? Because most of my camping is done from the bike. With that in mind, I got to thinking about an design then made a model out of priorty mail boxes.

The idea is to have a camper to pull behind the bike. One that could hold my stuff and convert to a place to sleep once at the site. I found a design I like a lot better than the tear drop form and got to cutting and taping so I could figure out how to make it do what I want.

Pop up Motorcycle Camper Trailer

I had forgotten that people pull these kinds of trailers. Well the FZ1 definitely has the power to pull it. I know this is not exactly like your model - but if the top of the trailer was somehow modified - you would have more storage than you would ever need by packing right on top of the trailer and tying your stuff down.
Plus you would probably have the nicest sleeping quarters of anyone riding in on a bike.

My thinking for going with an expanding camper vs a pop up is that a pop is a still a tent. A tent will require a lot of setup time. My goal is to be able to park and camp with minimal setup time. Just think about it: Pull in to the site, put down the jack stands, pull out the trailer. That's it. The bonus is with this design you also have some storage space. You could even make it powered so all you have to do is push a button but that would add weight and maybe takeaway space.

I'm working on drawings now.

Here's a link to one that is powered and expands upwards made out of fiberglass. It's also huge so only a gold wing could pull it.

Thanks. Those are pretty cool. I worked up some designs but the more I think about it the more I wonder if what I want for a "moto-camper" is possible. The full sized toy-hauler one I know I can make once I decide on what style to make it in.

Hey girl - I saw this video and it made me think of your thread. I know it's not exactly like your model but you may be brainstorming for ideas also. Hope this helps

I'm working it out! I think the trailer with the tent cot on top might be the easiest to do but I'm stubborn and will try to make my "vision".

To practice, I'm going to build a trailer so I can tow my old dawg behind my bicycle when the young dawg and I go riding. I'm about halfway done dis-assembling a folding chair. I'm going to use it's frame and fabric for the components. I guess I could post the build in this thread if anyone is interested.

Back