Windscreen question

DSCF3363.jpg
I have a windscreen on my Gen 1 that is probably 3-4" taller than the stock windscreen. I am 6'3" tall and when I am riding I usually sit pretty much straight up. When I lift up off of the seat maybe 2" or so, I notice a lot smoother air flow. Does this mean that I would experience less buffeting with the stock windscreen? All input is appreciated.

I'm guessing the wind is directed to your neck area and chin? It sounds like the stock screen would help by directing it more toward your chest, which would probably be much less distracting.

Thanks, that sounded right to me also I just needed to hear it from someone else. I will be swapping for the stock one as soon as I can get the rusted screws out:mad:

The answer to your question fuels the entire aftermarket windscreen industry. Because I've been disappointed with many windscreens (usually due to wind buffeting and noise) I tend to go with small windscreens. Also, I like to be in the wind. It's part of the enjoyment of riding for me. However, for winter riding I'm considering the following two:

National Cycle VStream
Vstream.jpg

MRA Vario Touring
MRAVarioTouring.jpg

National Cycle claims their rather curvy design, keeps the wind flow away from the helmet. MRA claims their 7-position adjustable spoiler allows for correct wind flow placement to avoid buffeting. Both about $150.

I think you'll find that with increased speed, such as Interstate speeds in excess of 70-75 MPH, having a taller screen such as the Vstream will give you a lot better wind protection especially for longer rides. Last summer I went from Michigan to Arizona and back (using a Vstream) and with the stock screen it would have been a tough "row to hoe".

I'm guessing the wind is directed to your neck area and chin? It sounds like the stock screen would help by directing it more toward your chest, which would probably be much less distracting.

I would agree with this comment, I had a Zero gravity double bubble that was lower than the stock windscreen, and although I was taking more wind on my chest/body it wasn't directing the air right at my head so it wasn't so bad.

Back