Wife is soooooo nice to me!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
She just bought me this for my upcoming birthday! 2009 Yamaha FZ1 Yamaha Lower Cowl Kits at SportsPlazaYamaha

SWEET!!! She's still a keeper! :D :woot:

Does anyone else have the OEM lower cowl and if so, how does it (or does it at all?) affect the oil changes? The FZ6 one did not interfere but I'm curious about the FZ1 cowl. Thanks!

aba-3c308-10-01-ou-500.jpg

Last edited:
She just bought me this for my upcoming birthday! 2009 Yamaha FZ1 Yamaha Lower Cowl Kits at SportsPlazaYamaha

SWEET!!! She's still a keeper! :D :woot:

Does anyone else have the OEM lower cowl and if so, how does it (or does it at all?) affect the oil changes? The FZ6 one did not interfere but I'm curious anout the FZ1 cowl. Thanks!

My ex-wife called my job today after not hearing from her in over 3 months. She had a LOAD OF GRIEF to give me as usual. Although she was once a keeper, I now practice "catch and release"!

I'm happy for ya Eric. You got a nice one there, hold onto her!

I have the OEM chin cowl. You can get to the oil filter without removing it. Although I remove it anyway to clean the bits of it that I cannot normally see and to keep any used oil from spilling on it.

I think my wife is alright too. She called me yesterday while she was out running errands and asked "what model motorcycle do you have?" I responded by asking "Are you at Cycle Gear?" She asked me how I knew. I said "it is simple, Cycle Gear is the only store open on Sunday where my model of motorcycle might matter." Her response "Damn it!"

I always guess my present every year and she hates it. This year I am guessing I get my Dark Smoke windscreen. <fingers crossed>

Jeez Billy!?!? Just tell her STFU... she's not your keeper anymore! ;)

Thanks for the infor Brad! That's good news! I didn't think it would being an OEM part but it's always worth asking.

That's funny that you'd guess it right away. I do the same to my wife all the time! :D

oh man I want one of those so bad. What are they called? I know they are the lower cowl kit but don't they have another name also? They make the bike look so sharp.

oh man I want one of those so bad. What are they called? I know they are the lower cowl kit but don't they have another name also? They make the bike look so sharp.

Yamaha calls it a "Chin Cowl"

** EDIT: ** I take it back, the call it a lower fairing or a chin fairing on their website. I call it a chin cowl. :)

Last edited:
Well, congrats man, nice to hear that you have a wife in peace with your bike. I also want to buy that cowl for my FZ1N but it seems a lot of money that piece of plastic :)

I actually swear I read when I bought this thing that you can change oil filter with it on. I never actually did it that way. Now that I look at it closely outside I do not think it is possible. You may be able to get that filter out between the pipes and the coolant hose but I would be afraid to force it that way.

Anyway, taking the cowl off takes less that 2 minutes.

Yup, it is called by both names. :D Here is Yamaha's link to the part Yamaha FZ1 Accessories, Yamaha FZ1 Lower Cowl Kits

The link I provided above has it cheaper than any other place I've found though! Great deal! I paid more than that for the FZ6 cowl.

Added the Yamaha site pic to the OP above! w00t!!!

Yea, those guys have the best price by far on most of the Yamaha accessories. Next year I'll be getting the the lower cowl for my bike as well. Need to finish up the YZF1000 first ;)

What I found with the lower cowl on the FZ6 was how much cleaner the downpipes stayed after a polish. Outside of looks, that is the only benefit. I just like the looks!

My wife is very supportive of my bike habits. She rides too and has her own FZ6R which I've lowered for her. She LOVES to ride perhaps even more than I do half the time.

She likes that I'm not a man of bad habits and my vices are few. I'm not the guy to go out and leave her home. I'm the guy who enjoys spending all my time with her. She's not just a wife, she's my BEST friend period. :tup:

What I found with the lower cowl on the FZ6 was how much cleaner the downpipes stayed after a polish. Outside of looks, that is the only benefit. I just like the looks!

My wife is very supportive of my bike habits. She rides too and has her own FZ6R which I've lowered for her. She LOVES to ride perhaps even more than I do half the time.

She likes that I'm not a man of bad habits and my vices are few. I'm not the guy to go out and leave her home. I'm the guy who enjoys spending all my time with her. She's not just a wife, she's my BEST friend period. :tup:

Exactly like my relationship with my wife. Except I have nopt gotten her on her own bike though she has hinted, more and more frequently, that she is interested. As soon as I get my boat paid off I am going to get her a 250 next year.

Nice! So, questions for both Haileyan and CrazyBiker...

How tall is she?

What's her inseam?

Did you sign them up for the BRC yet?

My wife started on the Suzuki Boulevard S40. She liked it a lot. She didn't want to change but I knew she'd enjoy it more on a better bike than the el-cheapo thumper. So, I got her on a Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom. Very nice ride! She was even happier and wondered why she was so reluctant to change! Then, after taking her to Deal's Gap and putting her on the Dragon, she scraped hardware after only the second run and after riding 28, she was totally worn out! I knew she was ready for a sport bike. Along comes the FZ6R. I had her sit on several bikes. Even though she fit the GS500 best and it had cheap lowering options, she liked the FZ6R best so we bought it.

She is 5' 2" and has a 30" inseam. She couldn't flatfoot the bike at all but she rode it with passion. She did very well with only one mishap. That was a very slow drop as she came to a stop. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on the point of view) it was right onto another rider who did a great job of holding her up until he toppled. No damage though for anyone.

Then Roaring Toyz came up with the lowering link and a shortened kickstand! I installed the link and dropped the triples on the fork tubes and got her 1.2" closer to the ground. She can now flatfoot the bike with the riding boots on. I also installed 1" bar risers to get her just a tad mor upright as her arms are short too. What a difference in her confidence level! She can now hang really tight with me on moderate rides and she gets better each time out. She also got no-cut sliders too.

For the money, I think the FZ6R is a GREAT starter bike for the ladies. Very well done, very nice price and very stylish bike. With the lowering kit, it should fit most women out there.

Nice! So, questions for both Haileyan and CrazyBiker...

How tall is she?

What's her inseam?

Did you sign them up for the BRC yet?

My wife is short at 5'2". I don't think she can even flat foot a Ninja 250. A Ninja 250 is likely what we will start her on. You can get a used one easily for under $2,000. If she does not like it it will be my play toy that I have no fear of dropping. ;) If not that I may start her on a scooter. We will just have to see.

She will definitely take BRC course before getting on the road. Knowing her though, we will have to practice somewhere even before the course. She hates group learning and if she is even slightly behind the class she will want to quit. I will have to start her slightly ahead of the curve.

Right on to Brad's comments. Eric's wife let me try her FZ6R and it is a wonderful bike, very well mannered with lots of style.

But I agree that it's hard to find a better starter than a used Ninja 250. And, like Brad said, if you're open minded enough, the big scooters, known as maxi-scooters, are the best starter bikes money can buy, IMHO.

I went from a Yamaha Zuma 49cc to a Suzuki Burgman 400 cc to a Honda Silver Wing 582 cc, all scooters, all automatic. The Silver Wing is a 511 pound bike that will do over 100 MPH. It was then an easy transition to the Yamaha FZ6 and then the FZ1. An expensive route to go but I learned something on each bike and improved my skills to the point that the next bigger bike wouldn't kill me.

Back