Who tracks their FZ?

OK, so I am thinking about taking my FZ to the track in Az, while I wait for my trackbike to get in. Does anyone here take theirs to the track? How do you fare against the race replicas? Are you able to hold your own, or do you feel the bike is lacking due to it's length, ergonomics etc...?

The bike is a bit on the heavy side and would require a lot of physical strength to toss it around the track all day. I'm looking to buy a used bike that is smaller, lighter, more agile, etc.

Can you? Yes, you can track it. IMHO, it would wear you down a lot quicker than a light-weight 600 set up for track. I am not sure I want to chance my FZ1 on the track though and run the risk of dumping an expensive and ONLY ride I have.

OK, so I am thinking about taking my FZ to the track in Az, while I wait for my trackbike to get in. Does anyone here take theirs to the track? How do you fare against the race replicas? Are you able to hold your own, or do you feel the bike is lacking due to it's length, ergonomics etc...?

Firebird on the long course? Big Fiz will do fine. Get some rearsets however.

Yeah love trackdays on the FZ1, i am also lucky enough the have a ZX6r race bike in the garage as well. The FZ1 carves up in the in-field but lacks a bit of top-end to keep up with the litre superbikes on the long straights but isn't to far off. Stock gearing sucks, lower the gearing to 16/47 this will help rev higher you get the drive out of the corners. I also find the FZ1 more forgiving than the sportsbikes and can take different lines, i have made a few boys on their new blades and R1 look silly at times. Couple of tips= If you can afford it get some decient suspension, i run Ohlins rear, Ohlins springs & racetech internals in the front this has made the bike 100% better and set the bike up properly a bike. Secondly, put some good sticky rubber on your this will give you confidence that nothing silly will happen. Hopes this helps.. Ps forgot to mention you will scrap the standard pegs big time so a set of rearsets is advisable, i got an adjustable set called Ottimoto off ebay for $250, they work great and look the part...

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome. I am planning on dropping the front sprocket anyways. As far as the rearsets and suspension goes I'll have to wait to see how the job market is there, and see what I can afford.

Right now I have a 99 Honda CBR600F4 set up for stunts, but I could switch it over to the track pretty easily and I think I probably will when I get there. Right now I am dragging knee and spanking liter bikes all over Northern Japan, and I would really like to set up a track only bike for in the states... I just really want to get a good trackday in as soon as I can when I get back, before my bike gets here most likely.

As far as rubber goes I don't run anything less than 2CTs on the street, and if I go to the track I'll be putting either Pures or Pilot Ones on it.

Yeah love trackdays on the FZ1, i am also lucky enough the have a ZX6r race bike in the garage as well. The FZ1 carves up in the in-field but lacks a bit of top-end to keep up with the litre superbikes on the long straights but isn't to far off. Stock gearing sucks, lower the gearing to 16/47 this will help rev higher you get the drive out of the corners. I also find the FZ1 more forgiving than the sportsbikes and can take different lines, i have made a few boys on their new blades and R1 look silly at times. Couple of tips= If you can afford it get some decient suspension, i run Ohlins rear, Ohlins springs & racetech internals in the front this has made the bike 100% better and set the bike up properly a bike. Secondly, put some good sticky rubber on your this will give you confidence that nothing silly will happen. Hopes this helps.. Ps forgot to mention you will scrap the standard pegs big time so a set of rearsets is advisable, i got an adjustable set called Ottimoto off ebay for $250, they work great and look the part...

What he said :tup:

I've tracked the FZ1 and had no issues apart from the lack of ground clearance with the standard pegs. The bike is plenty fast enough to show up a few of the new litre sportsbikes and even in a couple of cases, one or two 600 trackbikes!
My biggest issue was getting used to riding the FZ1 on track having came from riding a 2008 R1. The riding style was completely different but I found it far more satisfying to ride the FZ1 fast than it was to ride the R1 fast.
I've got one more day this year (hopefully) at Silverstone then with any luck I'll have new rearsets and suspension sorted for next years trackdays.

Glad to hear someone else who tracks the FZ1. I agree it is more fun to ride than a sportsbike. With my ZX6 you need to be more commited and it doesn't have as many get out of jail cards as the FZ1 but i do ride it like i stole it!!!, as for the FZ1 i give it a good going over but hold that 10% back, afterall she's my pride & joy.

What kind of rearsets do you guys run? So far I can find some Sato but they're silver, I'd really like to get black ones... I know I'm picky, but that's me...

What kind of rearsets do you guys run? So far I can find some Sato but they're silver, I'd really like to get black ones... I know I'm picky, but that's me...

Look on Ebay.

First track day with FZ1

I just did a track day on my 09 FZ1 and had a blast. I road it there with Givi hard bags, took them off upon arrival, along with the SWMotech removable racks, took the mirrors off, the rear tailight section, and off I went. It worked well, but as others have mentioned, the pegs scrape pretty early. I'm looking into a new shock (Penski or Ohlin? Any suggestions?), and rear sets. Those mods should make it even better for the track. Its great fun to ride by folks on pure sport bikes, then leave the track with full touring gear. Great bike! So versatile!

I just did a track day on my 09 FZ1 and had a blast. I road it there with Givi hard bags, took them off upon arrival, along with the SWMotech removable racks, took the mirrors off, the rear tailight section, and off I went. It worked well, but as others have mentioned, the pegs scrape pretty early. I'm looking into a new shock (Penski or Ohlin? Any suggestions?), and rear sets. Those mods should make it even better for the track. Its great fun to ride by folks on pure sport bikes, then leave the track with full touring gear. Great bike! So versatile!

I run a Ohlins YA906 with remote preload on my FZ1= Awesome shock. Cant go wrong with a Penske unlike Ohlins they have a height adjustment. As far as rearsets i went with Ottimoto off ebay $250, they work well on the track & off, they are fully adjustable. I could'nt justify spending $5-600 on rearsets Good luck

I just did my first track day yesterday at the Firebird Main track (Phx AZ), and did just fine - of course, I ran in the beginner class...

I did scrape the pegs a time or two though. I'm sure a rider with more track experience will find more limits then I did.

Back