Who Knows Pirelli?

So... I've been a big fan of Michelin Rubber in recent years... but the last tire I spooned on was a Corsa III from Pirelli. I absolutely loved the tire. But, it's really only good for hard riding. So, as winter is approaching, and I'm heading to using the bike only for commuting for the next few months.... I'm tempted to go to the Rosso. Normally for the winter, I'd go with a Pilot Road2, but on the rare decent day, noticed that the shape of the Road2 doesn't really allow for quick turn in, and at a crazy full lean, the traction isn't always flawless... so... to the actual point.... does anyone know if the profile of the Rosso is similar to the Corsa III? The Corsa III has quite possibly the most aggressive profile of any tire I've run in recent history... and I'd like to keep that, but with the slightly longer lasting compound of the Rosso.

As far as sport bike tires go, the Pirellis share the same basic profile. In addition, I have used the Corsa III all year round on my Aprilia in the wet NW US and they were great. They have multiple compound on the tire. The Pirelli tires have a pretty quick warm up window. Obviously riding stupid in bad weather will get you no matter what you are running on.

isn't always flawless... so... to the actual point.... does anyone know if the profile of the Rosso is similar to the Corsa III?

Rosso profile rear
190/50 ZR 17 M/C (73W)TL

CorsaIII profile rear
190/50 ZR 17 M/C (73W)TL
190/55 ZR 17 M/C (75W)TL

and 180/55 ZR 17 M/C (73W)TL

ummmm thanks? I know what sizes they come in... perhaps something lost in translation here... by \\"Profile\\" I mean the way the tire is shaped... not the physical size of the tire.

aaa..ok!

... corsa have quicker geometry than rosso!

Last edited:
after trying them both for a while now, the Corsa III and the Rosso have very similar shapes. I've been really impressed with the Rosso on the rear, and I'll most likely stick with it for a year round tire.. it gets to temperature quickly, and once it does, it sticks like glue. I've got a few bad habits when it comes to new tires. I like to get the bike fully leaned over in a turn, and WHACK the throttle wide open, in an effort to get the tire to break loose. No to try to slide or anything, more just to test the limits of the tire. The Rosso passed the test with flying colors. In all honesty, the difference between the Rosso and the Corsa III was very small. The Rosso did let loose a little earlier at high speed extremely tight corners, but it was very smooth when it did let go, I'd go as far as to say it was predictable.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the tire. It appears that it will be longer lasting than the Corsa III, but it offers very comparable grip. As I said above, I may keep this tire and run it year round instead of trading back and forth for summer/winter tires.

after trying them both for a while now, the Corsa III and the Rosso have very similar shapes. I've been really impressed with the Rosso on the rear, and I'll most likely stick with it for a year round tire.. it gets to temperature quickly, and once it does, it sticks like glue. I've got a few bad habits when it comes to new tires. I like to get the bike fully leaned over in a turn, and WHACK the throttle wide open, in an effort to get the tire to break loose. No to try to slide or anything, more just to test the limits of the tire. The Rosso passed the test with flying colors. In all honesty, the difference between the Rosso and the Corsa III was very small. The Rosso did let loose a little earlier at high speed extremely tight corners, but it was very smooth when it did let go, I'd go as far as to say it was predictable.

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the tire. It appears that it will be longer lasting than the Corsa III, but it offers very comparable grip. As I said above, I may keep this tire and run it year round instead of trading back and forth for summer/winter tires.

I also have a Pirelli corsa and i"m very pleased with it. Can you tell how many k"m have you done on it?
also i"m probebly not riding as hard on the gas as you I"m interesting in changing next tire to Pirelli strada in order to gain more k"m on a tire.

Thanks.

The last Corsa III I had on, I got 2800 Miles out of it.... which apparently is 4506 km ...
Not bad for a full on sport / track tire...

yeah, sounds right, had 2700 miles before changing on the R1. But I would not use the corsa IIIs again except for use as a dry weather only tyre. lets just say there were a few moments on damp roads!
Pilot Road 2cts knocked spots off them for wet weather grip. 2cts were fine in the dry as well but lacked feel at the limit. Mileage wise i got 4.5k rear with tread to go and 6k front, changed the front due to the handling going off but some would have run them longer.
I want bto16s that last for 4/5k please....cmon Bridgestone! Best grip tyres I have had, just cant aford the wear rate:innocent:

I've been toying around with the idea of trying some 016's... but I've just never been a fan of bridgestones... I rode on 056's for a while... on 020's and 021's... never really liked any of them... I still might break down and try out the 016's.... the price is right.

Pirrelli Sync's

'VA' You say you like the Pilot ct II's.... I have been tooling around a bit and having had to take a trip to the VA early in the morning the road is wettish and the outside temp about 45 degrees. Well lean's not bad, or didnt bring any 'moments' but then it was mild leans. However a couple times I'v come up on a stop and had the back Pilot II go greasy on me, a skip sidways, and slide for mabe a couple foot. Not like skidding/sliding, more like hitting slime?? Needless I was imediatly distressed with the Pilot, wondering what the hay...... I don't know if the rest of you are having good grip with these, but I sure didn't. Now you may be thinking I was a little too agressive with the back brake, but I dont think that was the case as I recall...as I remember, I was 60% or more on the front with no noticable fork compression at about 25-30 coming up on a light, and the rear about 40% pedal. I had thought the Pilot's were all the rage? I'v had Avons behave this way on my old Buell, but as far as excelent gripsters I'd have to say they were Bridgestone BT 14's and Dunlop Qualifier ZR's. Well at any rate the first of the month I'm going for some Pirrelli Sync's. I'm hoping for a bit more gription and feel, and hopefully no skipping or sliding.

You talking about the Pilot Road 2's or the Pilot Power 2CT?

In any case, both of those tires have fallen out of favor with me... there are some KILLER sales on the Pilot Power 2CT right now, but I won't buy them... I've had them get greasy after pushing a bit hard for a while... the Road 2's (as said above) don't offer a very good profile for my type of riding... shaped too much like a car tire..

Back