Who has owned a Track Bike?

Sactown2008

Has anyone ever bought a Track bike? I am not sure I want to learn how to ride fast on my shiny red 08 Gen II.

What size(cc) and brand did you like? Over here on Sacramento Craigslist I see Ninja X6 and GSXR750 salvages, "Make it a stunt or track bike," for sale.

Don't you ALSO have to run distilled water as coolant and remove your turn signals? I just want to ride my F1 on CA roads and not have to modify it to pay for Track Days lessons.

My apologies if this is answered elsewhere on the Forum.

:unworthy::unworthy::unworthy:

To get started you really don't need anything special. Just pick something that runs a wheels size that accommodates modern rubber. Most tackday only require you to tape up lights and have everything in good working order. I changed my coolant out because I wanted to and not because I have to but the best place for what is required is the website for what every trackday org you plan on running with.

Good starter bike and just my opinion SV's, any modern 600, er's, FZ6's. When you get ot there you will be surprised how fast some guys are on bike you would think less of.

600s are a great bike to start on and they can go way faster than anyone really gives them credit for. an r6/gsxr6/zx6 etc are all amazing bikes for the track and you can get em cheap. and no most of those things are for racing tech only, most track days only require you tape up lights/blinkers/mirrors. i've owned a few, i can tell ya anything ya need to know. tires, suspension, brakes and a tune, are the 4 things to do to a track bike

Get modern 600 that is already prepped for the track. You can get a nice bike for $3,500 to $4,500.

Converting a stock bike isn't worth the cost as you're going to crash it anyway. Let someone else take the deprecation hit.

Ohhh you may want to get a part time job too. Between doing the days and the modding of a stock bike or one already built can become mind numbing. Alot of clubs offer different level of memberships. Some memberships cost more up front but a certain amount of days pay for themselves. The club I ride with offers 4 different levels. The highest level is a one time fee of 2500.00 but thats it for the year, just show up and ride. I might get this next year. Mine is the next one down at 300.00 a year. For that price I get the cheapest day rate they have, 10.00 mount and balance (off bike wheels), I can bring a friend and they can run at my price and some other small perks.

After my first track day last year, I bought a track bike...a Gixxer 600 (more on that later). The bike had been used as a ski a few times (no biggie, as I used it as a ski my first track day!), but was in excellent 'track' shape. PLUS, it had Ohlin cartridges up front, Ohlin rear and a host of track goodies. I figured that the goodies were worth more then I paid for it ($3300).

Since I had never ridden a 600' and only been on 1000's all my life, I 'almost' bought a liter track bike ( a buddy had a Gixxer for sale), but I actually listened to the advice, on this site and others, and bought a 600. Trust me when I say you do NOT need anything more then a 600!

Have fun!

I agree that a 600 is nice size track bike but I looked for one for over a year and I couldn't find ANYTHING in my price range. So an R1 pops up and it's almost 1K UNDER the 600's. WOW!!! I had to jump on it :cloud9:
Also look on the racing/Gixxer/R6, etc forums. The classifieds will have what they call "Racer Special" or something like that. Basically it's the bike AND THE TRAILER all being sold together!!!!! That is a nice deal.
So what I'm saying is a nice 600 (or something close) would be a great track bike but don't get tunnel vision by concentrating on ONE specific bike (unless you are absolutely dead set on that bike) - you might miss an amazing deal.

Back