When the bore's worn bad, new cases needed

Well most of us know that the cylinder bores are nikasil, so of course that means a one time for the cases and mabe if your lucky and the bores spec. out, a couple sets of pistons before you are done with this motor block. Seems that 'LA Sleeve' or 'Muzzy" would have a fix for this in the form of a sleeve set for these motors. It also doesn't appear that 'just' the top case can be bought to remedy the need for the top case/cylinders. Any discoveries would be a welcome bit of good news, but I doubt will be forthcoming. And Ideally a source for the singular top case half/cyl.

Well, it looks like for the Gen I guys you're correct but for the Gen II guys like myself, the cylinder, part # 5vy-11311-10-00 is a paltry $698.99 according to the oufit I get my OEM parts from.

I've yet to see a factoid that states the FZ1 has the nikasil coating like the R6/R1 models. Can someone provide a link that says our bikes have the same? It was my understanding that the FZ line doesn't have this expensive coating which lowers production costs and the price to the consumer.

Thanks!

well it does have the coating take it from me as gospel lol

you can bore out and recoat to 1052 using R1 pistons or simply rebore and coat to stock size and re ring

these motors if looked after will do 100k easy the valve guides go first letting oil into the bores this is around 60-80 k

luke

Back