What's The Consensus On Rotor Stator Replacement?

Jboat

So I just picked up another FZ1. It's a 2009 with 7,000 miles on it. I keep reading about these rotor magnet failures and I am wondering if this is something I should replace in the near future. Am I riding a ticking timebomb?
:oops:;)

Is this considered something that is a "must do" item just as a preventative measure? The bike runs like new and starts up perfectly fine. I just changed the oil and the old oil looked fine with zero visible particulates. I hate throwing parts at it when it's not something that needs to be done, but I have to say I may just do it for peace of mind...

First thing i did when i got my bike.
I wouldnt have been able to enjoy riding the bike with that "time bomb" sitting there, ticking at me.
OEM upgrade cost me $530 here in Oz (yeah,i nearly shat myself) but now i can relax and enjoy riding knowing that a potentially catasrophic failure has been removed from my engine.
The original was in really good condition (32,000kms)...Although,the epoxy was starting to yellow somewhat (a sign of degrading??).
Its an easy job to replace the rotor (a little fiddly but straight forward).
Its definately worth it!

So I just picked up another FZ1. It's a 2009 with 7,000 miles on it. I keep reading about these rotor magnet failures and I am wondering if this is something I should replace in the near future. Am I riding a ticking timebomb?
:oops:;)

Is this considered something that is a "must do" item just as a preventative measure? The bike runs like new and starts up perfectly fine. I just changed the oil and the old oil looked fine with zero visible particulates. I hate throwing parts at it when it's not something that needs to be done, but I have to say I may just do it for peace of mind...
I would recommend replacing the stator flywheel. I just finished mine and it was really easy to do. Purchased wheel and gasket from RMSTATOR. It has the enclosed magnets. $212 for parts. received the parts in 3 days. They also have a how to video on YouTube. If you really enjoy your FZ spend the $$$ and about 1 hour labor. Great selling point if you ever sell the bike.

I would recommend replacing the stator flywheel. I just finished mine and it was really easy to do. Purchased wheel and gasket from RMSTATOR. It has the enclosed magnets. $212 for parts. received the parts in 3 days. They also have a how to video on YouTube. If you really enjoy your FZ spend the $$$ and about 1 hour labor. Great selling point if you ever sell the bike.

Thanks for the info. Just ordered the Rotor and a gasket from RMSTATOR they charged me $176.00! My bike is stationary right now, sent in the ICU to Vcyclenut today, ordered Yoshimura slip ons last night, and a new windshield. I’ll be busy this weekend.

Attachments

• F449FD82-442E-456D-93F3-AE95974C5B83.jpeg
    F449FD82-442E-456D-93F3-AE95974C5B83.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
I mistakenly ordered a new stator (instead of rotor) and decided to keep it. I finally ordered the flywheel rotor from RM Stator and will be installing them both this weekend…

Attachments

• E1A25E64-2752-4198-9323-DC904BDD07C0.jpeg
    E1A25E64-2752-4198-9323-DC904BDD07C0.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 39
Did the install yesterday. Took less than 1hr total. The original rotor looked to be in perfect condition, but my bike only has 7,600 miles on it…

Now I don’t have to worry about it…

Attachments

• 5ACB6D89-E04B-4F0D-BF11-BE261DC7F33E.jpeg
    5ACB6D89-E04B-4F0D-BF11-BE261DC7F33E.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 59
  • 446BBE76-0543-4B8F-A79B-38D8370D10FE.jpeg
    446BBE76-0543-4B8F-A79B-38D8370D10FE.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 57
Sounds like some had to modify the rm product slightly to fit properly ( sanding) ?
What are you referring to, can you provide a link?
On the topic - I bought an RM rotor after reading about it but havent fitted it. Original still works and ill have to deburr the RM before fitting which makes me doubt the quality control (is it well balanced) and whether I really should swap (dont fix what aint broken)

What are you referring to, can you provide a link?
On the topic - I bought an RM rotor after reading about it but havent fitted it. Original still works and ill have to deburr the RM before fitting which makes me doubt the quality control (is it well balanced) and whether I really should swap (dont fix what aint broken)

I replaced mine a few weeks ago and it fit perfectly after a little finagling. My biggest issue is that it all came out together and I was trying to get parts to stay in the bike, not knowing it was trying to make it easy for me.

My OE looked pristine but glued magnets spinning at extreme rpm? Only takes one coming loose to wreak havoc. While I often do preventative maintenance that doesn't really "need" doing, I'd encourage everyone to get this taken care of asap. Very much like a timing belt, i.e. once it goes bad, it's too late...

Back