What Are Servo cables for Slip On Install ?

Two Wheels

101 stuff I know, but outside of accounting I can't do much technically ! :) Im a mechanical idiot, but I enjoy learning. Trying to learn as I go, without permanently damaging the FZ!

Ok, so what are Servo Cables ? Why do I need to disconnect them to install a Two Brothers Slip on ?

Why do I have to disconnect the exhaust valve servo cables (first), then go under the seat and " ... remove the plastic tie from the cables as shown. Guide the cables downward and remove them from the bike "

Am I ever re-attaching the servo cables after the Two Brother slip on install ?

Thank you ....

On the Gen II, the EXUP is actually in the base of the muffler... so, any aftermarket pipe requires the removal of the EXUP... there are some adjusters on the EXUP cables, that you can adjust to get some slack in the cables... once you have some slack you can move things around, and get the cables loose. After you're loose from the muffler, chase the cable back up to the servo, and you can disconnect them at the servo... you can leave the servo hooked up, without the cables hooked up and it'll just move back and forth, not doing anything....

Yeah ... its right from the two brothers install instructions. Your right on but then there is this servo cable stuff they mention. Confusing.

Have no idea what those are. I tried to upload the two page directions but the adobe file exceeded the size limit.

Needless to say we are supposed to (1) " ... Loosen the 10mm nuts and disconnect exhaust valve servo cables ..." and then (2) remove BOTH seats and (2a) " ... remove the cover and disconnect both servo cables ..." and then finally (3) " ... remove the plastic tie from the cables as shown. Guide the servo cables downward (from their location below seat) and remove them from the bike ..."

?:confused:

Just disconnect the two cables from the servo motor under the seat to the muffler. Leave everything else intact. If you ever decide to put the original muffler back on all you'll have to do is reattach the cables you removed and you'll be all set. The MIVV instructions tell you how to go about it exactly I'm surprised the Two-Brothers don't do a better job at it.

I went ahead and took the servo out and installed a 'Graves Motorsports EXUP Servo Eliminator. It is an electronic dodad that keeps the computer from freaking when the servo isn't there. If you don't use a servo eliminator, you need to leave the servo hooked up to the wiring harness.

It is a good idea to mark the cables with tape so if you ever want to put the stock can back on, you'll know which cable goes where. There is a cable on top and bottom, so "top" and "bottom" is all you need to know. Where the cables attach to the servo, I used a sharpie to make notes on the servo and cables.

Other's have suggested taking a picture of the connections. That works, too, if you can find the picture when you want to put it back together.

Gents:

101 again, but so I can picture it mentally ... what does "EXUP" mean / do? What are we doing when we disconnect the cables from the servo motor ?

What is servo motor? Trying to understand its function for the bike and the stock exhaus and bike computer ?

thanks

Basically the EXUP valve control the gas that comes out of the engine, gives more tourqe on low RPM. when reaching 7000 RPM the valve opens allowing the gas to go out faster. This is to get more HP in high rev.

Servo engine is an electric motor which open and closes the valve according to the computer orders.

Sorry for the dull english, hoped you understood better now.

Basically the EXUP valve control the gas that comes out of the engine, gives more tourqe on low RPM. when reaching 7000 RPM the valve opens allowing the gas to go out faster. This is to get more HP in high rev.

Servo engine is an electric motor which open and closes the valve according to the computer orders.

That's the exhaust gas. The valve is like a choke butterfly in the front of the stock muffler.

It is very simple. Much easier to look at and understand once you start taking it off. You'll see two cables attaching to the exhaust pipe at the front of the muffler. Those cables go up under the front seat and are hooked to the servo, which operates the cables. You can't miss them. I ran my Yoshi slip-on without removing the cables from the servo for the first couple of days by just tucking them so they wouldn't get tangled up in anything.

so there is no way of removing the exup motor without throwing a check engine light?

Perhaps there is a resistor that we need to put in there. I hate leaving dead weight on the bike.

thanks,
sid

The servo unit can be removed without triggering a CEL with a little help from Ivans Performance in the form of his Servo Eliminator. Here is mine installed:

servo_elim3.jpg

Some owners have figured out how to make a servo eliminator at home. I didn't bother to try and just bought one from Ivan. Installation was simple and the servo motor feels surprisingly heavy when held in hand. Being a bike-weight fanatic, I'm happy to have mine gone.

servo_1.jpg

Removal of the servo also creates a cool little storage area under the seat (which I later lined with heat-resistant, aluminumized insulation to help cool the family jewels--not shown). :tup:

servo_elim4.jpg

I hope this helps...cheers!

Back