What a dummy

Doogie2.0

I took a ride around noon, stopped 30 min later for gas. Took my gloves off, one fell to my left by my foot. So instead of getting off, or put the side stand down. I thought my arms long enough. I just about got my glove when the bike went right and fell. When my leg came off the ground that was it. It's scratched the faring on the right side in a couple spots. Not really bad. I was kinda embarrased more than anything. What a dummy, I knew better than that..

I have more than few embarrassing stories and at least you were reaching for something!

A few summers ago, I pulled into a VERY busy convenience store to check my tire pressure. There was one person ahead of me, so I waited patiently. When they pulled away, I pulled forward, went to hop off the bike, and realized as I brought my leg over the seat that I had not put the kickstand down. What happened next was perhaps the slowest tip-over ever. The bike had just passed the balance point and I almost had enough leverage. As I slowly crumpled under the weight, I just imagined what this was looking like to any witnesses and started laughing so hard I had to take a moment before lifting the bike back up... 😄

I could fill the next three pages with stories like this.

It sucks when they go over to the right cause unless you think about it in the panic, you're going to need the side stand down once it's vertical to get around to the other side to remount.
I guess if you have a 33 in inseam you can mount from the right side. Not me.

In my last incident I had completed a 6 hour ride and was hot and tired as I headed through a seedy section of the nearest city. Traffic was backed up for at least a few light changes , so I took a side street to get around the mess. A quick right, then left, then come to a T intersection on a downward slope.

I thought I was going to be able to go right, and roll through the intersection without a complete stop, when I noticed a work van coming from the left. Hit the brake and I went to put my right leg down and there was a street drain that was recessed down about a foot below grade.

Like everyone I'm trying to lower it down on the right side as lightly as possible, but I eventually rolled right and ended up laying in the gutter. The bike wasn't upside down, but it was laying at a downward angle. Luckily one of the occupants of the work truck helped me get it up. It happens. This is when it's good not to be on a $25K bike.

I have more than few embarrassing stories and at least you were reaching for something!

A few summers ago, I pulled into a VERY busy convenience store to check my tire pressure. There was one person ahead of me, so I waited patiently. When they pulled away, I pulled forward, went to hop off the bike, and realized as I brought my leg over the seat that I had not put the kickstand down. What happened next was perhaps the slowest tip-over ever. The bike had just passed the balance point and I almost had enough leverage. As I slowly crumpled under the weight, I just imagined what this was looking like to any witnesses and started laughing so hard I had to take a moment before lifting the bike back up... 😄
That's a good one thanks!

I could fill the next three pages with stories like this.

It sucks when they go over to the right cause unless you think about it in the panic, you're going to need the side stand down once it's vertical to get around to the other side to remount.
I guess if you have a 33 in inseam you can mount from the right side. Not me.

In my last incident I had completed a 6 hour ride and was hot and tired as I headed through a seedy section of the nearest city. Traffic was backed up for at least a few light changes , so I took a side street to get around the mess. A quick right, then left, then come to a T intersection on a downward slope.

I thought I was going to be able to go right, and roll through the intersection without a complete stop, when I noticed a work van coming from the left. Hit the brake and I went to put my right leg down and there was a street drain that was recessed down about a foot below grade.

Like everyone I'm trying to lower it down on the right side as lightly as possible, but I eventually rolled right and ended up laying in the gutter. The bike wasn't upside down, but it was laying at a downward angle. Luckily one of the occupants of the work truck helped me get it up. It happens. This is when it's good not to be on a $25K bike.
Thanks for sharing Isleoman !

Back