Weird seat fit

Just got a used Sargent seat from ebay seller. Went to put it on and the rear of the seat doesn't come close to fitting as the other seat or stock seat.
Front fits fit and the seat latches into place. But man, what a gap. Messaged the seller and awaiting their reply.
But has anyone seen or experienced anything similar?
Everything else looks identical, just it doesnt fit right at the back.

20231208_153636.jpg20231208_153648.jpg

Last edited:
Negative. Base is solid and no cracks. All of the bumpers are intact. Latch hook and everything identical to the original seat I have. No issues at all, on the newwe seat, just it has that rise at the back.
Put the orignal Sargent I have beside this one and this one does sit about 1 inch higher at the back.
Almost want to put some heat to the base and a bit of weight on it, to see it that helps, but still waiting to hear from the seller.

Ive heard of the plastic frame breaking. The owner called sargent, sent it to them and he received a newer stronger version. So theres another option for you.

Sargent stands behind their products. They warrantied my second hand seat twice to fix the front rubber baby bumper fail. Sargent had two seat bases. One was faux carbon abs and the other was flat black abs. Can't remember which came first, and which came to correct the problem. I had both type of seat pan fail around the bumpers. In the end I moved the Sargent seat cover and foam to a stock FZ1 seat pan, looks the same, feels the same just weighs more. Speaking of weight I'm about 195.

If you call Sargent, I wouldn't divulge your ownership status unless they ask directly. They typically require you to pay shipping to them, then they pull a new one off the shelf and send it out at their expense.

Looks like yours has a deformed seat pan. Would be interesting to note what caused it. I suspect it must have occurred with seat off the bike since the bike provide support. High temp storage with something heavy on top.

Had a Corbin seat from my Suzuki get bent into a 90 degree angle in a rear end collision. Thought it was ruined, but when I got it removed from the bent frame it sprung right back into shape, fiberglass seat pans are heavy but very resilient.

It doesn't take that long to transfer cover and foam you just need an electric upholstery type stapler and some foam adhesive. Picked one up at harbor freight for less than $30.
I did a detailed thread about it on FZ1OA, not that that helps now. Even though Sargent stands behind them, there were way too many bumper failures reported as far as I'm concerned

Thanks folks. Both have the same part number. The original Sargent on the bike has the faux carbon. This newly aquired one in black ABS.
Guess I'll ring Sargent tomorrow to sww what they say.

It doesn't take that long to transfer cover and foam you just need an electric upholstery type stapler and some foam adhesive. Picked one up at harbor freight for less than $30.
I did a detailed thread about it on FZ1OA, not that that helps now. Even though Sargent stands behind them, there were way too many bumper failures reported as far as I'm concerned

This is why I got another one. Plus it just feels tired on the backside. Mine failed on all the bumper "supports". Been gooped a couple times now. Depending on how Sargent acts, I may snag a used stocker and make the swap.
Guessing the foam/cover swap process straight forward?.... as obviously Sargent website says their foam and cover doesn't work on stock seat pans.

Last edited:

The seat on the left is the hybrid OEM pan / Sargent cover and blue Sargent foam. The seat on the right with yellow foam is another unmolested OEM seat. The panel in the middle looks great (it was almost new) but is broken at bumpers.

Here's the hybrid on the bike. If you look at the underside of your Sargent seat you will see a recess for the storage tube with the red plastic cap. If you go to Walmart they sell round foam exercise rollers for like womans yoga. $6 cut in half length wise and then glued to back side of Sargent foam to fill that void. 3m makes spray on foam adhesive that I think I got at Home Depot. I thought it came out good.

You can see the tube recess with the bungees protruding and the areas that Sargent glues down (they only glue edges). Just slice the foam away with a knife. That recess is cut away into the Sargent foam so when you use the OEM pan you have to add the area back because no storage area. Foam I used to fill simi-circular void looks like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Yes4All-...xmnlz&athancid=51471477&athposb=0&athena=true

Last edited:
You use to be able to snag an oem seat for $75 in the early days, not as easy now. Keep in mind you just need a good base not the cover/foam.

Welp, couple conversations with the folks at Sargent, all they want to do is look at pics and try to help me see any "obstruction" on the bike. Asked for underside pics of this seat, the other Sargent, a stock seat and multiple pics of bike's seat area and frame.
Explained to them a few times it's not the bike, it's that particular seat, Because a stock seat and another Sargent fits my bike ( and another FZ1) just fine.
I'm going to just do a Frankenseat like IOM posted with my faux carbon based seat that is broken. Will try and heat this latest one up and get it to "lay down" back there.

Last edited:
Thanks. Snagged a stock seat for $50. Should arrive to me Tuesday or Wed.
Going to start stripping the Sargent with the busted faux carbon seat pan tomorrow.

For those that might be curious, Sargent (black seat pan) compared to stock ( white pan ).

Attachments

• 20240119_135555.jpg
    20240119_135555.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240119_135625.jpg
    20240119_135625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Now that I see your pics I think I took a flat knife or hack saw blade and cut some or all of the tee down flush

I either took left over Yoga roll foam or the removed Tee material to fill those rear pockets on the side so the seat foam didn't sink into it.

It's funny looking at the removed foam because you would think the seat is 4" wider than it is.

Last edited:
Back