Weird Question ....

Two Wheels

Gents:

The FZ1 has six plastic screws that hold the windshield to the frame. Well I stripped one of the plastic screws. No thread left at all. Meaning, I can't unscrew it for the life of me. The phillips head is totally striped. Is there anything I can do to get that stubbord screw out. I evern tried to go from the back side but the head it stripped and its on there tight. Want to put a new windshield on (my third one) and I can't get one screw out ! :(

BTW ... installed the two brothers slip on. What a difference (just weight wise, let alone the sound and look!).

THanks

Fortunately -- they are plastic -- grab a small set of vice grips and see if you can't back it out that way. If it breaks, problem solved and then back it off once you get the screen off.

Can get replacement screws (and past readings have said to stick with plastic and not go with metal in the event of a crash) from Ace/True Value. Heck even Lowes/Home Depot will probably have them.

Hope it helps....

Adam

I have heard about this before. I am not sure if an "easy out" will work on the plastic screw but you could try an inexpensive way to remove it. Just place the screwdriver into place, and then take a hot glue gun and have someone else apply the glue around the circumference of the screwdriver, essentially glueing it to the screw. Give it a minute or so to set (Keep the screwdriver as still as possible), and then using downward pressure, try turning the screw out. You'll be amazed at just how strong the hot glue is. If that doesn't work you'll probably have to get a really small drill bit and drill it out. Start with the smallest bit first and work your way up. Once you are close to the outer most edge of the screw's body, you can take an awl and collapse the screw and dig it out. It takes a steady have and patience. Let us know how it turns out. Maybe you can have someone snap some photos while you do it as a reference for others with the same problem. Good luck. Don't let that screw get the best of you!

I have heard about this before. I am not sure if an \"easy out\" will work on the plastic screw but you could try an inexpensive way to remove it. Just place the screwdriver into place, and then take a hot glue gun and have someone else apply the glue around the circumference of the screwdriver, essentially glueing it to the screw. Give it a minute or so to set (Keep the screwdriver as still as possible), and then using downward pressure, try turning the screw out. You'll be amazed at just how strong the hot glue is. If that doesn't work you'll probably have to get a really small drill bit and drill it out. Start with the smallest bit first and work your way up. Once you are close to the outer most edge of the screw's body, you can take an awl and collapse the screw and dig it out. It takes a steady have and patience. Let us know how it turns out. Maybe you can have someone snap some photos while you do it as a reference for others with the same problem. Good luck. Don't let that screw get the best of you!

That's a good idea to try. I would also suggest taking a hacksaw blade and cutting a slot in it so you can use a flat head screw driver on it. Personally I would probably just drill it...

as many times as I have the screen on and off... I got the metal replacement screws... I love them... I suppose in the event of a "get-off" more could get damaged... but in reality... if I get in a wreck, the last thing I'll be worried about is the windscreen... I stripped off too many of the plastic ones.... but... in the process of all that.. I did pick up a few tricks with the plastic screws... If you put a #0 or #1 Philips Bit on the screw, and then heat it with a soldering iron, it'll melt a new head into the screw... and when you melt the head into the screw, it's harder plastic than the "cut-in" screw head from factory..

But... I really like the hot glue idea... I haven't tried it, but I see it working like a champ.

I was going to say almost exactly what Aaron said. My difference was to use a flat tip rather than the philips... heat it up, insert carefully so you don't sink into the screen, let it cool and take it out. Discard and replace with a new one. I think you'll find the flat will get a better bite than the philips.

I do like the hot-melt glue idea too. Maybe next time. :D

Hell, forget about the glue gun! I like the idea of just inserting a hot screwdriver. As VA has said, once you melt into the plastic, it's actually harder than the factory material. Good suggestion there VA!

Back