Weird creaking sound, what did i do now?

Area57

Ok, so I went today to wash, clean and lube the chain and then do my first oil change.

At first while doing the oil change, I thought the manual was referring to the drain bolt as being on the right side. Near the oil view hole, just in front, there are a couple of bolts. One is labelled 7 and one 10. I thought ten was the drain bolt. So I undid it. However, I realized it wasn't it when after unscrewing it, it hit the frame tube beneath it. Preventing this long bolts with thread on the end from coming out.

There was some kind of oil on it, but it was a really clear, not like my engine oil which is turning a reddish black color. This was still clear. So I put the bolt back and tightened it. Dint' know if that is related to the creaking.

Then I found the proper bolt, and used a torque wrench to take out and tighten to spec the oil drain plug and filter.

After doing this, I hear a pretty decently loud creaking sound when I sit on the bike wheel it back and forth. I then put it on the center stand and spun slowly the back tire and the creaking is coming from somewhere around the chain and front sprocket.

What is this? Did I do something bad? No I'm paranoid and swear it sound different when I'm riding it. Like the engine is making a whirring sound, but it could be my imagination and probably is. It doesn't seem to creak when riding.

Ok, so I went today to wash, clean and lube the chain and then do my first oil change.

At first while doing the oil change, I thought the manual was referring to the drain bolt as being on the right side. Near the oil view hole, just in front, there are a couple of bolts. One is labelled 7 and one 10. I thought ten was the drain bolt. So I undid it. However, I realized it wasn't it when after unscrewing it, it hit the frame tube beneath it. Preventing this long bolts with thread on the end from coming out.

There was some kind of oil on it, but it was a really clear, not like my engine oil which is turning a reddish black color. This was still clear. So I put the bolt back and tightened it. Dint' know if that is related to the creaking.

Then I found the proper bolt, and used a torque wrench to take out and tighten to spec the oil drain plug and filter.

After doing this, I hear a pretty decently loud creaking sound when I sit on the bike wheel it back and forth. I then put it on the center stand and spun slowly the back tire and the creaking is coming from somewhere around the chain and front sprocket.

What is this? Did I do something bad? No I'm paranoid and swear it sound different when I'm riding it. Like the engine is making a whirring sound, but it could be my imagination and probably is. It doesn't seem to creak when riding.

You may want to take the front sprocket cover off and check (as a minimum, it will need a good cleaning). Also, how is your chain slack? it should be 1.5 to 2" when the bike is on the center stand. This is a very important adjustment as getting it wrong could destroy your engine and kill you (not necessarily in that order).

All this can be done using information on Pat's FZ1 page Pat's Motorcycle Page

Also check for chain wear using this tip: How do I know what motorcycle chain will fit my bike? | Checking chain wear If you can insert a 1/8" drill bit that way, it's time for a new chain.

Last edited:
I'm going out to double check everything now. I changed my wheel and adjusted slack myself a couple weeks ago. It is around 1-1/2" I'll measure again now. It's hard to get an exact measurement. It's close though.

I wonder what that bolt I removed was. Could that have possibly caused the bike to come out of alignment? I called the local yanaha dealer and service center. Looks like summer has started. They are backed up three weeks. Good thing I'm learning to do it all myself.

I have a new chain and from and rear sprocket in January with less than 2000 miles on them.

Oh and it's more of a creaking sound like a rocking chair.

At the bottom of my engine in various places are numbered bolts. 24,7,10. They don't attach any cover. The one I removed is at the bottom of what I think is the crankshaft cover.

Last edited:
From what you say it sounds like the bolt you removed is one that holds the two crank cases together and shouldn't have any effect ,, the creaking could be possibly from the rear suspension doggy bone links,, try slacking the bolts spray little lubricant around and retighten see if that helps

Ok thanks I also rode to the motorcycle shop they just took a quick peek and said my chain was too tight. I just tried to adjust it. Now I can push it just until it touches the bottom of the plastic guard but is that still too tight? That's on the center standimage.jpgimage.jpg

You do not want chain tight, under suspension compression it will put stress on your transmission. Also remember when adjusting chain to do a retotation of chain to find the tightest point and adjust slack from there. When mine is adjusted correctly yes it touches the plastic gaurd when pushed up. Your point for checking slack is further back check manual

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back