wats the longest i can go befor doing my valves on 08 fz1

Hi i was woundering how many miles can i go before doing my valves on my 08 fz1 it has 34,000 miles on it but i lost my job! and cant aford to do that! should i not ride it? any feed back is welcomed! thanks

If it start`s and idles well you should be OK,valve clearances need to be quite a bit out before they do any damage to the engine.has anyone heard of engine damage[modern Jap bikes] caused from incorrect valve clearances.If you can`t afford it, then I personally would`nt be loosing sleep:zzz:eek:ver it

Hi i was woundering how many miles can i go before doing my valves on my 08 fz1 it has 34,000 miles on it but i lost my job! and cant aford to do that! should i not ride it? any feed back is welcomed! thanks

If it makes you feel any better ive done 36000 with out a check ..
Unless you do it yourself,, can you trust a shop to measure & adjust correctly ????
A lazy tech will tell you its ok & take your money for nothing !!:stupidPC:

Last edited:
If it start`s and idles well you should be OK,valve clearances need to be quite a bit out before they do any damage to the engine.has anyone heard of engine damage[modern Jap bikes] caused from incorrect valve clearances.If you can`t afford it, then I personally would`nt be loosing sleep:zzz:eek:ver it

hmmm.. there will not be any catastrophic damage for short term but leaving a few valves with no clearance will damage the cam and "cup" and the valve/seat will get carbon deposits as well.. by the time you do the job the valve/seat will never close as good as before.
Then you have to pay for a more expensive repair , take the head off redo the seats/valves . I think just checking the valves costs around 200$ and that will give you peace of mind for another 25k...

I work on other people's motorcycles out of my garage. It's mostly older stuff but when I get their bikes in for repair I always ask them when was the last time that the valves were adjusted. Most the time they have no idea or they tell me that they don't seem noisey so they're OK. Most OHV bikes have camshafts that open the valves directly through buckets and shims. When the valve wears it TIGHTENS which decreases the valve clearence which in extreme cases will not let the valve close on it's seat. When that happens, especially to the exhaust valve, it overheats because it can't dissapate the heat from the combustion process to the valve seat. It will start to detiriorate and dissolve away which won't help your performance at all. I wouldn't ride the bike until you have them checked. Remember a slappy valve is a happy valve.:nono:

The answer to your question is simple. You can wait as long as you like or until failure. There have been plenty that have gone over the valve check mileage. Some well over 100K miles.

This reminds me that I need to check my valve clearence soon.

Do a search on the site, valve clearence settings,etc, then make up your own mind

hmmm.. there will not be any catastrophic damage for short term but leaving a few valves with no clearance will damage the cam and "cup" and the valve/seat will get carbon deposits as well.. by the time you do the job the valve/seat will never close as good as before.
Then you have to pay for a more expensive repair , take the head off redo the seats/valves . I think just checking the valves costs around 200$ and that will give you peace of mind for another 25k...
For a valve to have no clearance[modern Jap bike],and you change oils on time,you got a bigger problem than a simple valve ajustment eg soft valve, soft valve seat, etc all of which the head will need to come off anyway.Of cause a valve check is preferred but if I was broke can couldn`t pay for it, I certainly would`nt stop riding the bike,only my opinion

Last edited:
thanks guy's

HI guy's thank's for all your reply's, feed back ,and your expierence! i realy apreciate it! good news i just got a job,i start next week im so happy,i was geting woried ,not for me but my bike! hahaha lol its all about the bike! lol .I was t-boned 2yrs ago ,by a kid texting in a suv , he ran the stop sighn,the doctors said i would not walk again,and ill be stuck in a weel chare ,after 11 operations,i told them im hawaiian im stuborn! hahahah lol ill show you,i learned to walk again, and it took 1yr 6munths to recover, i got my alarm and jacket befor i even got the bike ! hahahalol i got another bike my 08 fz1 and just from rideing my leg has heeled i can shift normaly again! yeah! well my bike and me being alive is the only thing that came out of the accident he was only 18yrs old not mutch $ i have bin rideing over 24yrs and had 9 bikes in that time ,but my fz1 is by far the best bike i have had! thanx again guy's:spam1:

Back