Valve adjustment first timer

So my bike (an 04 fz1) now has about 17.5k miles on it and its not starting as easily as it should. Me and a friend are going to check the valves and do an adjustment if needed. This will be my first time doing this. I did order a Clymer manual and a shim kit but im wondering before i start if there is any special things ill need to complete the job (gaskets, parts, special tools, ect) or any tip and tricks anyone would like to share. Thanks all.

R.B

Last edited:
Boy, that's about 8,000 miles early to be checking valve clearances. Are you sure it's not a choke/carb issue? Just seems really strange that valves would be out of adjustment at such an early stage. I think the normal valve adjustment is at about 26,000 miles.

I have an 03 and my first Valve adjustment was done at 66k miles. Starting issues is more likely a low quality fuel problem. I had issues starting and idling when I used to run gas from Costco. I changed over to Chevron (87) a few years ago and all my startup and idle issues went away.

What kind of gas are you using?

Hard starting- check the ignition switch. Spray some contact cleaner into the keyhole and switch it on and off a few times. Fuel filter clogged? Dead or dying battery? The ignition igniter needs more juice in the battery to keep the spark hot enough to fire. Check the connection to the battery. Check the huge white six plug connector under the tank for corrosion and or melted connectors. It is a known problem on the Gen 1 bikes. TPS failure will cause hard starting. EXUP valve, not functioning? Fuel pump failure? I would be going through these before I would do a valve check. Chances are it is not valve related.

Back