Vacuum forming plastics

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Has anyone build and used a vacuum form for plastics? It seems to be simple enough and the process is easy to accomplish. The materials are relatively cheap. What I cannot find is an answer on what size/hp/amp pump to use on thicker materials (those being over .125" and up to 1/4" thick). There are PLENTY of videos, instructables and how-to's with a vast array of hints and tips but no one link that I've found outlines what pump is needed for what gauge of thicker material.

Here's a primer from Stanford U.

The reason I am asking is, of course, I want to build one for myself. As you all know, I bought a certain set of blinker pods from an expensive but great modder of the Gen II FZ1 bikes.... and then proceeded to dump the bike and damage two of the four pods. Well, these appear to be nothing more than vacuum molded plastic with the motorcycle finish applied. I think they would benefit from being made out of a thicker material by being more durable. I am NOT looking to copy his design and idea then sell it. This is strictly for my own benefit as they are quite expensive to replace. Given the design of them and the materials involved, I can reproduce thicker shells and still utilize the inner parts and electronics of the originals to create a thicker and more durable design.

The challenge is to get the correct pump to vacuum form a thicker material. Mostly it will be either clear acetate or PETG material.

Of course, once this unit is complete, it opens a bunch of doors for other designs and parts which can all be mocked up using very thin and inexpensive sheets of plastic and then production made with thicker pieces. Plus I think it will just plain and simply be a lot of fun to toy with it. :D

I think I'm going to use this guy's idea found on Instructibles. Make a good, cheap, upgradeable sheet plastic vacuum former because this can be done SUPER cheap and his is simple in design and much like the pro's build. I'm guessin g the shop vac will suffice for the time being. :tup:

Video demonstration here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBRiYhxRTM"]YouTube - Vacuum Forming with your Kitchen Oven and Vacuum Cleaner[/ame]

That's some cool stuff. I've watched the youtube vids of guys making their own Storm Trooper costumes and have wanted to play with vacuum forming. I'll be following this thread for sure.

Back