UPS guy showed up... half of the set is here!

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Bridgette, my granddaughter, picked it up for me. :D

attachment.php

Attachments

• BridgettePR4.jpg
    BridgettePR4.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 343
Here's the old and new side by side. The Pilot Power was nearly to the threads in the middle. Then the new 55 mounted, balanced and ready to roll! Took me about 30 minutes to remove the wheel and tire then get the new tire on. Then an hour to clean everything, lube and install the wheel and adjust the chain. Went pretty slick today!

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• pair.jpg
    pair.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 272
  • mounted.jpg
    mounted.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 269
It's very interesting to compare the two profiles. The PP shows a very even curvature very similar to the Pirelli Diablo Corsa that I used. This type of profile allows for a nice even turn in and is very good to maintain the wanted lean angle. The PR4 on the other hand has more angle in the middle than less curvature. This should bring a transition when leaning. I was never really fond of the leaning of PR so I had 2 full sets of PR3. However the PR4 has one of the downsides of the PR3 removed, that is the rain groves stop now well before the edge and thus the ride should be much smoother when fully leaned.

Will be interesting to hear your experience.

First impression:

Break-in - I've not fully scrubbed the sides, working it into the corners a little at a time but thus far, there's been zero slipping while scrubbing.
Transition - There is none! I really like the higher profile of the 55R vs. the 50R. This tire has zero transition between straight-line and any amount of lean in the corners. This will change with wear of course but new is smooth and really easy on the confidence. With my setup, I am up 38mm (with the 55) in the rear and I'm 6mm dropped in the front. The bike WANTS to corner and falls in with zero effort. Nudge the countersteer and she's on her side! Perfect for me.
Grip - I pulled some hole-shots and dipped into some corners being aggressive. I never once felt unsettled or slipping of any sort. I'll be pushing it a bit harder every day as I can find corners (without TRAFFIC!) and narrow the chicken strips.
Wear - TBD
Rain - TBD

More as time passes, conditions present themselves.

The front came in Thursday and I mounted it today. The weird part is, to balance the front, I had to remove all wheel weights? I checked this with many rotations and the valve stem always stopped at a new location. All twelve positions of the clock and the wheel doesn't move. I'm calling it balanced!

Also threw in a fresh drink of synthetic goodness and a new filter.

I did not ride it in today because I donated double-reds at a blood drive. I don't like to chance it on the bike after donating. I typically feel fine but get tired too easily after double-reds. The bike is running absolutely perfect as of late. I need to break in the front tire and then test some corner work.

I did not ride yesterday because I de-modded my '07 Off-Road Tacoma to prep it for sale. After adding up costs to make it into the truck I really want, it's almost the difference between selling this and buying a new 2015 TRD. So, I'm taking the mod money, selling this one (books for almost $24k with only 45,000 miles) and buying a new TRD Pro when it comes out in Sept... I may wait until spring to sell/buy though.

Can't wait to get the new tires working overtime though. Maybe a good ride this weekend!

Back