Upgraded Powder Coated Radiator Guard

jwhelan65

First off, thanks to all who purchased radiator guards from me over the last 8 months. It gives me great pleasure knowing that all of you avoided the headache and chore of having to replace an entire radiator at Yamaha's ridiculous price.

With that being said I am heading in a different direction with this business. In order to keep up with demand and costs of producing these, I will be releasing a new upgraded version of the current guard for the FZ1. Effective Nov 1, 2010 (end of this week) every guard will be Powder Coated for a better all around durable sealed professional finish in both black and gold colors. I have also upgraded the stainless steel hardware again to match the oem, side cover edging will now be included with every guard, Each screen is laser cut for better fitment, mounting holes will be marked to ease installation along with a video reference for installing.

Of coarse adding these improvements comes at a price, especially the powder coating and cutting service. The current guard is still available at 49.99 plus shipping and will be discontinued when they are gone. I have an inventory of 9 left in your choice of black or gold at this price.

The new price on the upgraded version will be $79.99 plus shipping. I know this sounds like a hefty increase however the powder coating alone moves this product in the direction it needs to go to stay competitive. In the scheme of things, it still out weighs the cost of a radiator repair or worse case a $400+ radiator and all the down time associated with it, not to mention the safety issues of having a radiator leak to your rear wheel unnoticed. Any questions or concerns feel free to PM me.

Log on to www.RAD-ARMOR.com for more details and photos.

Ride safe

Joe

Last edited:
I will say that powder coating is the way to go for these. I bought mine from Joe earlier this year unpainted and had it powder coated locally. I've since put on a few thousand miles and it still looks new :tup:

Last edited:
New version..comes comlete with screws pre-mounted with hard rubber spacers to help will prevent scratching which could lead to rust. It also makes installation a snap. Edging for your side covers also included in every kit. Screen is now form fitted to the stock plastic cover also.

IMG_3416.jpg

IMG_3415.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3433.jpg

IMG_3434.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

IMG_3431.jpg

Last edited:
I bought mine, installed it, it's been touble free and still looks awesome. I live in SoCal so I don't run into any rust issues like the snow belt may. It was the easiest mod to date.

Steve:2cents:

At $45 the older one was a great deal but the newer one almost twice the cost is not. Powerbronze and others sell much better looking alloy guards on ebay for $85.

I completely understand, I do however offer an exchange on the old one and personal service they do not. I will also guarantee them for as long as you own them from puncture damage no questions asked.

If you viewed the two products side by side the quality of the new one is unmatched.

I appreciate your input..

Last edited:
I was going to make one of these. After trying to source parts and powder coating costs, I decided just to purchase from J. Couldn't be happier with the quality, customer service, and shipping! Good job sir :)

I was going to make one of these. After trying to source parts and powder coating costs, I decided just to purchase from J. Couldn't be happier with the quality, customer service, and shipping! Good job sir :)

Looks great Crispy! Nice job. J's stuff is definitely top notch. Once I get the bike back together I may spring for a GenI cover in black to finish everything off.

Just installed this guard on my new FZ1 as the first mod. Really good quality perforated aluminum mesh and nicely powder coated. It fit perfectly on the original plastic guard and the new pre-mounted hex screws lined up perfectly with the radiator holes. Highly recommended mod to protect your radiator. If Yamaha produced this product in this format it would be 2x or 3x the price.

Last edited:
Back