UPDATE: FZ1 Shifting Points/ Dyno Drag

Hey Guys -

I just wanted to stop by and give an update to my previous thread.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/track-tech-riding-techniques/8011-need-some-help-shifting-points.html

Well I went to the ROT Rally in Austin, Texas and competed in the Dyno Drag. Several of you guys helped and I wanted to say thanks and let you know how I did.

First - If you have never done a Dyno Drag I have to tell you that it is VERY different from running on the street - Although it was different I was impressed with the whole production. The christmas tree lights and the Dynos are all on a HUGE trailer. There are 2 Dyno's side by side to simulate a real race and the overall set up was pretty amazing. Huge speakers and tons of lights really grab people's attention. I have to say that the take off is kind of tough to get used to and it took me a few tries to get the hang of it. You pay $20 to take 3 simulated drag races. They have a coach to walk you through it and an announcer that broadcasts your results over a P.A. In fact they do it exactly like that TV show on the Speed Network called "Passtime". They get the audience involved and people guess your times.
Here are my results:

1st run: Stalled out - Dropped my clutch too fast
The announcer teased me

2nd run: Stalled out - Dropped my clutch too fast.
(This takes a while to get the hang of)
LOL - The crowd started Booing me! LOL

3rd run: 11.6 seconds!
(Pretty Bad - even for a stock Gen 1)

The guys decided to give me another run since it was my first time to do this.

4th run: Their computers did not get my time. Too bad because it felt like a
good run

They gave me another try. It was obvious that they were trying to drum up business - Good for me :tup:

5th run: I nailed it!! 10.6 Top Speed 129mph :Rockon:
Finally got the crowd on my side and got a few cheers!
Now I know the bike goes faster than that but there is a BIG difference between reading about a best time and actually running it!!!

I was psyched and finally getting the hang of it. The crowd was getting involved and the announcer asked if I wanted another run: HELL YEAH!!!!! :)

6th run: It felt good but their computers did not catch it again. My therm light
came on after the 6th run. Well it was HOT as HELL in Texas this
time of year. Plus I drove it 4 hours (to Austin) to go to the rally so
was pleased with my stock bike.

Overall it was a fun experience. I would recommend it to my friends and it is DEFINATELY a good deal for the price. You also get a T-Shirt and a computer print out of your runs.

I wanted to give you guys an update and say thanks to jlewis02 and fastRnu2 who gave good advice on the shifting points.

Here is a Youtube to give you an idea of what this is like (Not me in the vid):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI8xBYg7HTM&feature=related]YouTube - Dyno test Drag race[/ame]

BTW - I saw a few FZ1's at the rally. :cheers:

Last edited:
Wow that sounds like fun. I'd never even heard of something like that before. I wonder how accurate it really is because a 10.6 @129 MPH is pretty fast. Not sure that a stock Gen I could run that quick (well maybe with a good rider that nails the launch).

I hadn't heard of it either until I saw a flier for the ROT Rally. Geico is the sponser and it is a fist class operation. The guys are all really cool to you and they take your name and bike info before you race. They use that info while you are on the Dyno so you get a personalized experience (They call your name and talk about your specific bike). It is pretty cool :)

I'm not sure about the accuracy but I had a typical racing experience. I was really pretty proud of myself after the race and I unloaded my bike and parked so I could watch other people race. LMAO!!! Well the next guy came up on a custom Harley with that ran a 9 second 1/4 mile!!! HAHAHA!!! So I was proud for about 5 minutes!!! LOL The Dyno guys knew him because they travel around to these rallies and 9 second guy goes to all the rallies. The crowd went nuts for this guy and he deserved it! His bike was amazing!

Last edited:
Back