Unsure whether to purchase or not

Hi all,

Got a chance to buy a 2006 FZ1 N:-

2006 YAMAHA FZ1 N YELLOW | eBay

Now the bike has a ton of nice extras, and looks beautiful, mileage is ok and the guy is putting 12 months MOT on it and a new rear tyre.

Problem is, upon reflection, he has obviously been racing with it (the mods make it fairly obvious), also he says the first stamp is in the service book and the rest of the services he has done himself (which i guess is possible, i know some guys that do it so why not)

2 previous owners, and he has owned the bike himself for about 3 years.

Now, do i take the gamble and get a nice modded bike, in (cosmetically) pristine condition and run the risk of it blowing up on me?

Or do i give it a miss and possibly pass up on a really good deal?

Now obviously i may be reading too much into it and he may very well have taken exceptional care of it and i could be fine, but i thought id ask you guys and get a little feedback

Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Got a chance to buy a 2006 FZ1 N:-

2006 YAMAHA FZ1 N YELLOW | eBay

Now the bike has a ton of nice extras, and looks beautiful, mileage is ok and the guy is putting 12 months MOT on it and a new rear tyre.

Problem is, upon reflection, he has obviously been racing with it (the mods make it fairly obvious), also he says the first stamp is in the service book and the rest of the services he has done himself (which i guess is possible, i know some guys that do it so why not)

2 previous owners, and he has owned the bike himself for about 3 years.

Now, do i take the gamble and get a nice modded bike, in (cosmetically) pristine condition and run the risk of it blowing up on me?

Or do i give it a miss and possibly pass up on a really good deal?

Now obviously i may be reading too much into it and he may very well have taken exceptional care of it and i could be fine, but i thought id ask you guys and get a little feedback

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.

Why do you say he's been racing with the bike?

Plenty of us have similar mods and like to ride our bikes hard but don't abuse them either.

It looks to have some awesome mods on it but he doesn't list an FCE or ECU reflash to address the fuel cut issues the 2006 model was plagued with.

If you are keen, take the money with you and test ride it.

Hi & welcome
I see the ad says sold so have you bit the bullet ?
Looks a nice bike , so wouldn't think it's been abused even if it has done the odd track day ,, the engines are fairly bullet proof in these bikes with some members up to 100k so I wouldn't be too worried ,, you should be able to see by looking if it's been abused ,, stick around and let us know how you get on

Well, as it pans out, they guy confirmed that he does do track days.......on his older R1.
He said he would have been too gutted if he dropped the Fazer.

He also confirmed that he had some valve thingummy fitted to rectify the 06 fuel issues, cant remember the name of it now.

So, all seems to look good.
Going to collect it now xD

Well, as it pans out, they guy confirmed that he does do track days.......on his older R1.
He said he would have been too gutted if he dropped the Fazer.

He also confirmed that he had some valve thingummy fitted to rectify the 06 fuel issues, cant remember the name of it now.

So, all seems to look good.
Going to collect it now xD

Awesome; please let us know your impressions of the bike once you get it.

Awesome; please let us know your impressions of the bike once you get it.

Very smooth compared to my previous FZ1 N (The Fuel valve fix maybe?)
The Leo Vince GP Pro exhaust sounded phenomenal
Quickshifter is pretty cool to use after youve knocked down a gear to overtake someone then quickshift up as you pull away from them (put quite a grin on my face lol)
Awesome brakes (nissins or something?) Easily felt as good as the Brembos on the Speed Triple i sold recently (Could just be a placebo effect?)
The Power Bronze seat was VERY comfortable
I never realised how sluggish the handling was on the triple until today. The FZ1 felt super agile, i definitely felt a lot more confident .
And the acceleration (6000rpm+), MY GOD!!!! almost tore my arms off, i loved it.

So far so good, I can honestly say that unless anything unexpectedly drastic happens i think this might be a keeper.

Back