unleashing the beast...

I can improve my confidence in leaning through adjusting the suspension, setting the sag and replacing the rear tyre with a 55.

I am seeking assistance with the adjustments, and will wait until the present rear tyre has worn out before changing it for a taller profile.

There is also the suggestion of raising the forks. I am lacking confidence in doing this myself. May consider paying a trusted mechanic to do the job, if it really will make a valuable difference.

Exhaust...
A complete new system is costly. Too costly really. I am keen on replacing the stock muffler with a YGPR slip-on. Which seems simple enough to install and will shave a few KG and not need adjustment of the mapping. Is there any performance improvement from gutting the CAT?

airbox and flies
I have watched copperdawgs tutorials, should really have a pop at these MODS and will do in due course. Will the LARS MOD and sub throttle replacement truly make a large difference? Can I pick up the after market flies anywhere in Australia?

PC and ECU Flash and Dyno tuning

The Power Commander alone will allow me to remap the fuelling? The ECU flash will affect much more and works ever more potently in conjunction with the PC. I require a PC3 or V with my 09 FZ1? Ivan's flash seems the best, yet will flash rich for my australian 98 octane fuel. So...can I get the same flash done here in Australia? Or somewhere close to it?

And after installing these gimcracks, modding the airbox and flies, it is then that I should take the beast to a dyno tuner? Any advise of such a place in Melbourne?

Ideally I am eager to gain the maximum performance and handling improvements for $1000-$1500AU. Am I dreaming!

Answers below

I can improve my confidence in leaning through adjusting the suspension, setting the sag and replacing the rear tyre with a 55.

I am seeking assistance with the adjustments, and will wait until the present rear tyre has worn out before changing it for a taller profile.

There is also the suggestion of raising the forks. I am lacking confidence in doing this myself. May consider paying a trusted mechanic to do the job, if it really will make a valuable difference. It will make a difference and you shouldn't need help if you do it yourself, it's just loosening the cap heads onthe tree and pushing the fork up a few mm doing up the bolts (use a torque wrench), measure with verniers and do the other side the same, I'd suggest getting it done properly if in doubt. To get my bike fully done (front & rear fully tuned for sag, compression and rebound) cost me $50 bucks and 30 minutes at the shop.

Exhaust...
A complete new system is costly. Too costly really. I am keen on replacing the stock muffler with a YGPR slip-on. Which seems simple enough to install and will shave a few KG and not need adjustment of the mapping. Is there any performance improvement from gutting the CAT? not really, save your pennies and buy some headers when you can afford them, if you get pinged by the boys in blue you will want to put stock headers back on to pass emmissions, keep them stock.

airbox and flies
I have watched copperdawgs tutorials, should really have a pop at these MODS and will do in due course. Will the LARS MOD and sub throttle replacement truly make a large difference? Can I pick up the after market flies anywhere in Australia? The lars mod won't offer a noticeable difference other than make your bike louder, not worth the effort, as for flies, if you flash the ECU they're not necessary either.

PC and ECU Flash and Dyno tuning

The Power Commander alone will allow me to remap the fuelling? The ECU flash will affect much more and works ever more potently in conjunction with the PC. I require a PC3 or V with my 09 FZ1? Ivan's flash seems the best, yet will flash rich for my australian 98 octane fuel. So...can I get the same flash done here in Australia? Or somewhere close to it? there is a guy in WA, but he doesn't do as much as Ivan, don't get a PC3, get a PCV, the PC3 are old and outdated, remember electronics have a approximate lifespan of about 5 years, Buy a new PCV and you won't need to worry about it failing anytime soon, plus you get better electronics

And after installing these gimcracks, modding the airbox and flies, it is then that I should take the beast to a dyno tuner? Any advise of such a place in Melbourne?

Ideally I am eager to gain the maximum performance and handling improvements for $1000-$1500AU. Am I dreaming!

You should easily get the ECU flashed, dyno tune, shock tune and pipe for under $1500, you could even pick up a second hand R1 rear shock and satans adapter for it in that budget. that would really improve your bike

May well soon ask the mechanics I trust if they can tune my suspension...which apparently is not a major job, and half hour with them may do the trick?

Other than which, I will change the rear tyre to a different profile, when it naturally needs replacing. May drop the front forks slightly, if i can work out how to do that!

What of the air box? If it hasn't been cleaned or replaced for years, should I peek and possibly replace or clean?

Will plan on getting a PC V and then the Ivan flash. Just need a little more convincing that A. Removing and fitting those bits and bobs will be simple.
and B. what definite improvements will this bring to my 2009 FZ1?

(I assume that I should not get a Dyno tune until I have the PC V and ECU flash?)

Back