Unexpected Proton results...?

Interesting results - maybe someone has had similar?

Put in the Proton Flush-mounts - looks great! Wiring made sense once I figured out which OEM wire was which, and set the wiring for regular flash sequence.

They flash fine - at the correct pace, however.... now my rear signals (and control panel indicators) flash fast! So the fronts are flashing normal, and the rears are fast... It's kind of interesting, not necessarily a problem... but it's weird to me.

Any ideas about why this is, or how to fix if I wanted the rears to stay normal?

If your units are like some I read about recently, they have compensating circuits built in their wiring, however if you stayed stock on the other end, they don't see the necessary resistance to fash at the regular rate. Either replace all four, get something to compensate for the reduced resistance in the system or live with the situation. I believe that even if you change the flasher, due to the fact that the front and rear signals are dfferent, you'll have different flash rates.

my experience

question 2: if I go ahead with replacing the rear lights with LED's will that also solve the issue??

I run Watsen LED's on the front with the built in running light option, and currently the stock Yamaha rears. No flash rate issue at all and no resistor blocks needed.
What Lonerider said makes sense and for what the rears will cost you it's worth a try.

So, I'll wait until I find the rear signals I want, replace them, and see how the system works after that - no need to try to fix my OEM rears for now....

Just wish I could find rear LED's, very small, with running lights.:confused:

Interesting results - maybe someone has had similar?

Put in the Proton Flush-mounts - looks great! Wiring made sense once I figured out which OEM wire was which, and set the wiring for regular flash sequence.

They flash fine - at the correct pace, however.... now my rear signals (and control panel indicators) flash fast! So the fronts are flashing normal, and the rears are fast... It's kind of interesting, not necessarily a problem... but it's weird to me.

Any ideas about why this is, or how to fix if I wanted the rears to stay normal?

hey just go to your local auto store and buy a tridon 552 flasher there only $3 to $5 bucks and solves your problem! I got protons on the front and bulbs in the rear and the replacement flasher fixed the problem they all flash at the normal rate now!

Thanks LiterMachine

This would be a flasher that replaces a single existing flasher connected only to the rear lights?

Ya it worked for me as they say you just "plug and play!"

I bought one and replaced the OEM one (unplug the old plug in the new) and it worked I found one when I was in Chicago last year and bought one at an AutoZone store!

Keep the old one just as a spare just in case I haven't needed to use mine yet.

Last edited:
Odd coincidence. Check this out:

Last month, returned home from my loop and noticed I lost one of my rear turn signals, just the part that covers the bulb. So I replaced the rear turns with off the shelf led stuff.

They blink fast, but I honestly could care less. Front went normal.

Anyhow, now I have turn signals on my mine. Looked around for a replacement of the stock front. Found the protons and geeked around with them to find the right wire combo. You know what I'm talking about. First time I connect, I get running lights that blink.

Get that all worked out, and noticed that the protons blink NORMAL, like the stock, while the rear still blink fast.

Love the protons, sure clean up the bike.

Odd coincidence. Check this out:

Last month, returned home from my loop and noticed I lost one of my rear turn signals, just the part that covers the bulb. So I replaced the rear turns with off the shelf led stuff.

They blink fast, but I honestly could care less. Front went normal.

Anyhow, now I have turn signals on my mine. Looked around for a replacement of the stock front. Found the protons and geeked around with them to find the right wire combo. You know what I'm talking about. First time I connect, I get running lights that blink.

Get that all worked out, and noticed that the protons blink NORMAL, like the stock, while the rear still blink fast.

Love the protons, sure clean up the bike.

Ya they do look clean I just replaced my flasher relay/fuse with a Tridon 552 and it worked! Both front and rear blink together at a normal rate. But even if one blinks normal and one fast hey it won't hurt anything to each his own

Back