Trailer Electrical Help Needed

Long story short most of my lights weren't working so I had a new wiring kit installed in the car, and I installed a new wire kit on the trailer. All of the lights work on the trailer except one turn signal. I've tried; 1) new bulb, 2) run a dedicated ground to that lamp, 3) clean contacts within the lamp, 4) double check all of the wire connections.

The only other thing I can think of is the lamp assembly is bad, and to replace the whole thing.

Any ideas? I'm stumped and about ready to take the car and the trailer to the shop. :confused:

Use a tester and check the output at the car's plug with the signal running. Once you verify there is power to the plug, test your way back to the bulb.

You can get a little LED plug-in tester from almost any Auto parts or Wally-World that will plug into your car's socket. If all conditions are good there then your problem has to be out towards your trailers wiring. It's a good idea to first figure out if it's in the car wiring or the trailer's wiring. E-trailer has some good products and I have found that a lot of the kits sold in the Wal-Mart and other discount places have parts, especially the light assemblies that are of questionable quality. Connection points can be unreliable. Usually trailer light problems are ground issues but in your case if it's only one turn signal, I would suspect that your 12v from the turn signal source isn't making it to the light. If it's a no ground issue, you'll have nothing. Does your brake and/or running light work on the affected area (light)?

Thanks everyone. I'll pick up a lamp checker tonight. Everything works but that one turn signal. The shop that installed the car kit varified that they work.

My concern is the ground because its a folding trailer.

Thanks again and I'll keep working on it.

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back