TPS questions/adjust

Hey guys!
Traded my Vulcan 1500e for a 2001 FZ1. Guy said it would need the be trailered. It ran but would not idle. After adjusting the idle adj screw it would stay running.
Now this is my first sport bike. Always had cruisers or touring bikes. I must say for a guy 6’3” I love riding this bike. I have ran seafoam for one tank. Changed the spark plugs, Gap 32, air filter, oil, and flushed and filled radiator.
I have been tinkering around with it because it has to be choked all the time when starting. I am not sure if this is normal. And we are talking 80 degree or more temps. Now I tested the TPS and I believe it is good. 5 ohms on blue and black and a range of .3 to 5 ohms on the black/blue and yellow wire. When I put the bike in test mode the rpm is at 10k and will not move no matter how much I move the sensor. If I remove the sensor and move it I can get the rpm to go to 0 and stop at 5k. But at 5k the sensor will not line up with either hole on the carb. Is there an issue with the sensor or is there an adjust out on the carb? Not sure that you can adjust the roll forward or backwards on the carb. I hope that in warm weather you do not have to warm the bike up like I have to do.
thanks!!
Dan

A couple of things you should check before just futzing with the TPS.
When were the carbs last removed and cleaned?
Any gas that sits in the carbs will varnish up the jets. Running Seafoam won't get everything clean. A carb bike like this one will need carb service every 3-5 years. Seafoam or not. You will need to do it.
Any air leaks? Check the airbox boots to the carbs and the carb boots to the head. Check the rubber caps to make sure they are still good.
Carbs in sync?
Check the wires and coils. As they age they will get hard and the connection inside the boot will get corroded.
Air cleaner?
Also, the needles and seats will begin to leak over time. The seals get hard and gas passes by and overfills the float bowls. This will flood the engine at low RPMs. Check to be sure the floats are correctly set. Buy the carb rebuild kits from the dealer or Dave's Holshot performance. Don't buy that Chinese crap off of eBay. Seriously when you pull the carbs for the first time and put them back on. You will understand that using cheap parts will allow you to do it again sooner than later.
EXUP - an overlooked item. This needs to be taken apart and cleaned and lubed with the high temp copper grease. If it has never been apart or it's removed. You will have low-end power issues. Make sure the cables are adjusted correctly and the servo motor functions. If you turn the key to on and watch the EXUP valve it should move. ( remove the cover first, you may need a helper to see the valve move)
Also, the bike comes with a tell-tale way of letting you know when the TPS or the EXUP are not working correctly. The tach will move from idle( or whatever rpm you are at) to 3500 or 7000 and back to 0 a few times to let you know that there is something you need to check.
An Ivan's Jet kit if not installed already really wakes this bike up. You would know if it is already done if the pilot jet caps have been drilled out.
A Clymer service manual is available.

Back