TPO AIS Removal Plugs....Anyone tried these??

I's like to removal ALL the AIS junk off my 2001 FZ1. I found the TPO kit on ebay which consists of 4 plugs screws that apparently completely seal off the inserts into the four cylinder heads and allow you to remove all of the AIS hardware including all hoses. First...does this work??? Anyone else tried this? Secondly, do I need anything else to seal off the hose attachment sites or anything like that? I want to get the AIS off first, then purchase the Holeshot Stage One jet kit to address the *shameless* surging of my bike between 3-6K rpm's. I'm really shocked Yamaha would let these super lean conditions go through their QA for these bikes....they have always been trail-blazers in technology and first to try out different techno ideas....but this surging problem (which I have read about from many other FZ1 owners) is just plain ridiculous....of course, our CA models are the main culprits so we can keep the air clean for all the diesel trucks on the road.....anyway....if anyone else has tried the TPO seal screws, I's appreciate your opinion and also any other tips I would need to remove the AIS completely. Thanks again for all the help in the forum......you guys really rock!!!!

I's like to removal ALL the AIS junk off my 2001 FZ1. I found the TPO kit on ebay which consists of 4 plugs screws that apparently completely seal off the inserts into the four cylinder heads and allow you to remove all of the AIS hardware including all hoses. First...does this work??? Anyone else tried this? Secondly, do I need anything else to seal off the hose attachment sites or anything like that? I want to get the AIS off first, then purchase the Holeshot Stage One jet kit to address the *shameless* surging of my bike between 3-6K rpm's. I'm really shocked Yamaha would let these super lean conditions go through their QA for these bikes....they have always been trail-blazers in technology and first to try out different techno ideas....but this surging problem (which I have read about from many other FZ1 owners) is just plain ridiculous....of course, our CA models are the main culprits so we can keep the air clean for all the diesel trucks on the road.....anyway....if anyone else has tried the TPO seal screws, I's appreciate your opinion and also any other tips I would need to remove the AIS completely. Thanks again for all the help in the forum......you guys really rock!!!!

Here is the link to my thread about doing the AIS removal kit. It was rather simple to do but I would just make sure that the tap you use is good quality.
Just click on this link........

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-i/1775-i-s-kit-done-thumbs-up.html

Thanks Billy

Thanks for the reply Billy. I'm going to buy the TPO AIS plugs on ebay which apparently are "self-locking" and do not require any tapping or sealant....just screw them in and they automatically tighten.

The pictures of your AIS removal will be very helpful....thanks for the redirect. I was wondering if you had the surging before you removed the AIS from your bike? You mentioned that the throttle is now smooth everywhere so I thought that might indicate you were having a similar problem? I do not have popping or gurgling at all on deceleration....don't know if that's good or bad at this point. I just want to be able to hold the throttle steady anywhere between 3K-6K rpms without the annoying surging problem. The lean tune...which may also be enhanced by re-injecting unburnt gases back into the cylinders via the AIS is not working for me at all. I've re-verified the lean tune by cracking open the choke at all positions between 3K-6K rpms and the motor smooths right out and the throttle response is then spot on. I also get a hesitation off idle too....have to give it more gas than normal to get rolling. Not fun.....

Anyway, I love the FZ1 a lot, and want to get it running right..I hope the AIS removal at least helps balance out the fuel/air mixture a bit and who knows....maybe the surging will disappear too!!!

By the way, what did you use/size of cap(s) to seal off airbox? I would think a tight seal there is also necessary to avoid excessive air input into the system.

Thanks for all the help Billy. Appreciate your time and input.

Jeff
Sonoma, California

Sorry Jeff, but the AIS has absolutely nothing to do with that 3K stutter at all nor will it do anything for performance. The only thing you can do for the lean condition off idle is to install a jet kit. In my situation, I had that stutter at 3K and it was bothering the heck out of me. I took the bike and had a jet kit installed, synched the carbs, and adjusted the TPS. That cleaned up everything and the bike ran flawlessly. With my aftermarket slip-on however, I would have that annoying popping and gurgling on decel. This is where the AIS removal comes into play. Air is no longer injected into the exhaust thereby stopping all the unburnt gases to be detonated. Not to mention that it cleans up the engine compartment a hell of alot. Plug changes are a cinch now.

Also Jeff, the kit I bought for AIS removal comes with all those caps and plugs you need to seal off the airbox as well as a high quality 5/16 tap. It only cost me 25 bucks for the entire kit.

AIS Removal

Thanks again Billy...

I kind of figured that was the deal with the surging....jetting the only way to fix that problem. I'm wondering if the $25 for AIS Removal is a needed investment at all??? Maybe nice to have if I ever decide on an aftermarket can for the FZ1. What do you think about the holeshot Stage one jet kit? I know dynojet and Factory both make a Stage one kit but seems like a lot of the FZ1 owners go with the Holeshot kit. Any feelings one way or the other????

I do appreciate all the time and help...I really want to get this damn surging problem stopped ASAP!!!! Aside from that...Ireally like the bike a lot. I still have my CBR600RR in the garage for canyon carving, but the FZ1 seems like it will do just about everything else including two-up riding.

Well....I guess I'll still buy the TPO set up and get the AIS off the bike...then set aside a weekend to install the Holeshot kit. Not that mechanically inclined but I figure they probably have pretty good instructions for folks like me.

Thnks again for all the help and info.

Jeff

Thanks again Billy...

I kind of figured that was the deal with the surging....jetting the only way to fix that problem. I'm wondering if the $25 for AIS Removal is a needed investment at all??? Maybe nice to have if I ever decide on an aftermarket can for the FZ1. What do you think about the holeshot Stage one jet kit? I know dynojet and Factory both make a Stage one kit but seems like a lot of the FZ1 owners go with the Holeshot kit. Any feelings one way or the other????

I do appreciate all the time and help...I really want to get this damn surging problem stopped ASAP!!!! Aside from that...Ireally like the bike a lot. I still have my CBR600RR in the garage for canyon carving, but the FZ1 seems like it will do just about everything else including two-up riding.

Well....I guess I'll still buy the TPO set up and get the AIS off the bike...then set aside a weekend to install the Holeshot kit. Not that mechanically inclined but I figure they probably have pretty good instructions for folks like me.

Thnks again for all the help and info.

Jeff

No problem Jeff, your certainly not bothering me at all. We are here to help the best way possible and I'm sure that in no time, you'll be helping someone else with their problem.

As for the Holeshot kit, if your doing it yourself, it's probably a bit easier than mine (Ivan's Jet Kit). The Holeshot Kit involves NO cutting of springs or reaming of pilot holes as mine did. I am fortunate to live only 25 minutes from Ivan so I brought him my bike to do himself. Either kit works and since you live in Cali, your closer to Dale Walker.

As for the slip-on, I have a D&D that came with the bike when I bought it. They are a louder pipe and some guys don't prefer them. I like the low end growl you get with them and they wake up over 8K and sound like a screaming banshee on steriods! If I had to buy another it would definitely be the Yoshimura Slip-on. I love their sound as they are not too loud but make their presence known when on the throttle.

When it comes down to it, it's all about personal preference. Go on Youtube and listen to the pipes as they sound on video. You'll get a better idea of what you will be getting. Just remember one thing! Don't get caught up in price and performance when it comes to slip-ons. They are all basically the same 2" straight through design and pretty much are all the same thing in a different wrapper and price tag. Go with what you can afford and don't go thinking that more money will get you more performance. Make sure that it's made of quality material, especially in your bike is kept outdoors. Thats basically everything in a nutshell. Let us know what you decide to go with.

fz14jp I think Billy covered pretty much everything, but I just want to add that I would be careful with that TPO AIS removal kit. I have not personally seen their kit for the Gen I FZ1, but their kit for the Gen II is garbage. If you decide to remove the AIS do yourself a favor and get either Ivan's or Dale's kit. At least you'll be getting a proven product and all the parts required to install it. Just my 2 cents...

fz14jp I think Billy covered pretty much everything, but I just want to add that I would be careful with that TPO AIS removal kit. I have not personally seen their kit for the Gen I FZ1, but their kit for the Gen II is garbage. If you decide to remove the AIS do yourself a favor and get either Ivan's or Dale's kit. At least you'll be getting a proven product and all the parts required to install it. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks Tony, I tried to steer him in that direction also. I explained to him that it's worth a couple of dollars more to get quality pieces. I know that Dales kit has plugs so there is no need to tap out the front of the head. Plus you get all block-offs for the airbox and #4 carb as well. It's definitely the way to go.

AIS Removal

Thanks to all of you for your comments and help. I'm sure I'll lick this terrible surging problem. I'm going with the Holeshot Stage 1 Kit....purchased today. I like the fact it comes with an ignition advancer too. I have these on all my bikes and that REALLY smooths out the throttle response everywhere...especially off idle.

I'll let you all know how the end result turned out.

Be safe.

Jeff

Removing the AIS on Gen 2...??

I would think the oxygen sensor would read a rich mixture, and as a result the ECU would send a signal to the FI control to lean up the mixture. Is there something in the AIS removal kit for Gen 2 that addresses that issue?

Removing the AIS on Gen 2...??

I would think the oxygen sensor would read a rich mixture, and as a result the ECU would send a signal to the FI control to lean up the mixture. Is there something in the AIS removal kit for Gen 2 that addresses that issue?

Not needed. I am running with AIS removed and PC V w/o any issues...

Back