To Try to Install Front Forks Myself, or Not to Try

Choppastyle

That is the question.

My mechanic told me that my wheel wasn't aligned during a 12K service due to the forks being slightly out of whack. I just bought a used set from a fellow inmate and he should be shipping them out today or tomorrow. Is this something that you'd reccommend doing yourself? Or should I leave it to the pros. I've dropped a fork on my R1200GS myself....seemed easy enough.

Your advice is always much appreciated.

Thank you,

Choppastyle

Go for it!
Seems like there is some sort of tutorial on this forum. Idk - it may just be pictures of someone doing it but I remember it being very informative.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Its easy. If I can do it by myself anyone can. I will only take about an hour keep a computer close by if you have questions but you probably won't. Good luck and have fun.

I'd like to know how and why the guy said your forks were tweaked? Typically, if the forks are dead-even in the triples and properly torqued, the tubes are straight and the tire is mounted, it aligns itself. Am I wrong? If one of the inner tubes is bent, a new tube is not at all expensive. :D

Aside from that, you can easily accomplish this yourself. What looks daunting is actually not too bad at all.

FZ1inNH

I'd like to know how and why the guy said your forks were tweaked? Typically, if the forks are dead-even in the triples and properly torqued, the tubes are straight and the tire is mounted, it aligns itself. Am I wrong? If one of the inner tubes is bent, a new tube is not at all expensive. :D

Aside from that, you can easily accomplish this yourself. What looks daunting is actually not too bad at all.

Mechanic and the service manager both said the left tube was bent slightly which was the cause for the wheel not being fully alighted with the bars. So I figured I'd buy a set for $225 on this site and do it my self. They're $500 bucks a piece OEM from Yamaha. That way I can sell the right one later for $100 or so. What are your thoughts on all this?

Thanks,

Choppastyle

Put a car jack under the headers but wedge some thick folded cloth between them to avoid dent/scratch. Lift the front end up, remove the calipers and hang them over the radiator or bungee them to the sides, remove the axle pinch bolts, remove the axle using a 19mm axle tool, remove the wheel, loosen the fork pinch bolts and slide down the forks one by one. Make sure you have a torque wrench handy and paper/pdf service manual for reference. IIRC the front axle torque is 65 ft/lb, rear axle is 105 ft/lb

Mechanic and the service manager both said the left tube was bent slightly which was the cause for the wheel not being fully alighted with the bars. So I figured I'd buy a set for $225 on this site and do it my self. They're $500 bucks a piece OEM from Yamaha. That way I can sell the right one later for $100 or so. What are your thoughts on all this?

Thanks,

Choppastyle

$225 for the set is a great price and yes, you can sell one and get cash back. No problem with that. As for the OEM cost? I see the new inner tube assembly available from $260 - $290 at several of the sites like Partshark, Roy Ayers, etc... It's just another option but you're covered with the purchase you've already made.

If it were me? I'd take the used forks and rebuild them first with new seals, bushings and dust covers and move up to a 7.5 weight fork oil to reduce the excessive stock dive. :tup: Those parts aren't all that expensive. :D

$225 for the set is a great price and yes, you can sell one and get cash back. No problem with that. As for the OEM cost? I see the new inner tube assembly available from $260 - $290 at several of the sites like Partshark, Roy Ayers, etc... It's just another option but you're covered with the purchase you've already made.

If it were me? I'd take the used forks and rebuild them first with new seals, bushings and dust covers and move up to a 7.5 weight fork oil to reduce the excessive stock dive. :tup: Those parts aren't all that expensive. :D

Ok now you're talking on a level i'm not familiar with....what are we talking in terms of cost? and where the heck do I find that crap?

Thanks as usual,

Choppastyle

I Did It!!!!

:eek5:Thanks for all of your help. The install was very easy. One thing I noticed is that the bars are slightly bent. I'd like to get a set that's a bit more upright....any ideas?

Thanks,

Choppastyle.

Back