TireQwik Tire Changing tools (Updated with comments!)

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
My super wife Michele :Rockon: got me yet more stuff for Christmas. I asked her for this kit from TireQwik. This is the Standard kit as described in the Pricing page which is $185.00 SHIPPED! :yes:

I won't be able to test the use of it until sometime next summer but it will be put to use then as I'll be needing new sneakers for the big girl.

Here's the obligatory shots for you all to view. You can scale this because it is sitting on 12" x 12" tile. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
Hilarious, I just got my set tonight too. Went to Harbor tools and picked mine up, it's raining in SD :( so I'll finally be able to change that backwards installed front wheel :) I also picked up some of these valve sets (thanks for the recommendation there Eric)

Wheel & Tire Tools at Harbor Freight Tools

He has instructions for the balancer HERE. :tup:

Seems simple enough. Of course, if I get weary of trying, I'll just go get the beads and be done with it. ;)

Well, I FINALLY got to use this equipment... I'm not all that impressed. I can and was forced to improve on it but it still needs some work.

The first issue was on the first use. The edge to push on the tire is a weak point with a single weld. When I tried to break the bead on the rear tire, the bar contacting the tire immediately folded over. So I had to work a piece of metal that would fit and reinforce the part then weld it on. Sorry I did not take a picture of the welded part. It is my first weld with the new welder and it DOES look like CRAP! But it worked....

This is after I'd stacked a weld on the side now facing down to secure the part back to the bar.

attachment.php

This is showing the piece I cut to fit in then welded all around to strengthen this part. While the weld came out looking like crap (I should have practiced on other stuff first) it certainly isn't going to bend or break again!

attachment.php

I am going to email the guy and show him my pictures and explain what happened. I'm curious to see if he makes any concessions for me.

The next issue... the smaller front wheel worked great. The rear wheel, being a 190, is large and when trying to break the bead, this device seems to be a little short as it tries to lift off at the back. I ended up stepping on the rear of the device with one foot and the tire held with the other foot. So, I need to make something that will hold the wheel locked into one position and will also secure this device. With that in place, this will work perfectly. I also think a longer handle will make less work of it with more leverage.

Regardless, I was able to break the beads and get the tires off the wheels. The front tire was relatively easy. The rear tire... well, not so much. The leading bead came off in a few minutes but it too me a while to lever off the second bead. Darned tough tires these 190s are!

Shinkos are out on the truck for delivery so I will have them waiting for me at home. Mount those tonight and back on the road tomorrow!

After seeing a picture of the original bead breaker I can see how it would have folded over rather easily. I know it's too late now as you already strengthened it, but round tubing welded in place of the flat piece that you added would have been even stronger...

After seeing a picture of the original bead breaker I can see how it would have folded over rather easily. I know it's too late now as you already strengthened it, but round tubing welded in place of the flat piece that you added would have been even stronger...

Very true Tony! If only I'd had something like that on hand. :D But, it ended up being a piece of a wrench, one of those cheap flat ones that come with a router? I whacked part of it to create this part and ground it down to fit.

Let's just say I need to practice with the welder.... :eek5:

The balancer will work, they just take some time. The object being to find the heavy side of the tire and off-set that with weight. It will take quite a few spins before you have it good. As far as changing a set of tires goes, getting the new one on and the bead set is the hardest part As you already found out (like I did) like anything else, you get what you pay for. The cheaper machines will usually get the job done, at least oec or twice, but the better ones get it done faster and many more times before the metal fatigues.

Back