Tire age when buying new - what's acceptable?

So I got my Metzeler Z8s today from one of the reputable mail order places. Before I ordered, I called and asked if there was any way to ensure the tire wouldn't be too old and was told they don't keep tires for more than 6 months.

The front one I got is nice and new (1413), but the rear: (4311). That's 2 years old. Here's my question: would you accept a 2-year old tire? I'll be running it on the track 10 days from today.

I've since called 2 other places (both reputable and highly rated). Both told me they could not guarantee that their tires are newer than 2 years old. They *should* be, but they can't guarantee it.

Personally no. Most dealers consider tires too old after 5 years but there is no industry standard that I am aware of. I was an apprentice tech for 4yrs at Discount/America's tire and we recommended replacement after 5 no matter what. Most high volume reputable dealers won't keep tires more than a year. Since motorcycle tires are not steel belted I would see if they can send you a newer one. From my experience, I made it a personal rule of thumb. I don't think you will have to worry to ride on it but your "useful" life with the tire will be shortened. That's my :2cents:

Two years is nothing for a tire kept in a cool and dry warehouse. What kills the rubber is exposure to sun (UV rays) and the effects of ozone. A tire kept in a warehouse doesn't have these issues. Mount them, they are fine. If you ever buy a left over m/c it probably has tires that are 2-3 years old, yet no one seems to complain or have issues with them.

Last edited:
The only mistake is you bought those crappy Metzelers.

Hey I'm a Michelin fan, what else can I say.

Don't sweat 2 year old tires. When I bought my Supermoto it was a new 2 year old bike with tires at least that old. Rode the heck out of those Attack tires and they stuck like glue for all of 2,200 miles before they were worn out.

After a few warm up laps you will be fine.

Back