Time to move on from the FZ1 .....

I've had my FZ1 with the Retro kit since May 2011 and I've thoroughly enjoyed it but over the last year or so I noticed I wasn't enjoying getting out on it as much as I did when I first got it. I think I was tiring of the fairly limp midrange that is endemic to the FZ1 engine, it doesn't come to life until you get that engine really spinning. And I was coming up to needing a new set of tires. So I dropped down to the local mom and pop Yamaha/Suzuki shop to check out their stock. In this area (TX Hill Country) most of the action is in cruisers and not so much in sportbikes. But they had a new redesigned 2017 Suzuki SV650, nice but too small. No action yet on the new redesigned 2017 FZ-09's but they had a 2017 FZ-10 (Armor Gray with the fluorescent yellow wheels) and a 2016 FZ-09 on the floor. Both were prepped and available for a test ride, would I be interested in taking them out for a spin? Oh, yes! Sales manager and I set up for a 5 or 6 mile spin.....I took the FZ-09 first and was impressed with the punch of the three cylinder engine, very frisky at speeds normally encountered in real life. Then we swapped bikes. Holy smokes, the FZ-10 lit off like a rocket, roll the throttle and it just builds speed with that fantastic cross plane lump pulsing out a great sound track. I kept it in the sane 'D' mode which is supposedly wheelie proof but I could still feel the front end becoming light under full acceleration. Looked down, oops, doing 82mph in a 50mph zone, better slow down. So took my FZ1 down today, did some horse trading and rode home on my new FZ-10. It will be fun machine to rediscover the roads where I normally travel. It looks far better in person with a sense of great detail and no nonsense design. Very transformer like, it certainly won't age fast. It is too bad more dealers can't/won't allow bikes to be test ridden, I probably would not have bought it if I couldn't have tested it first. But I understand the liability aspect, if I wasn't mature and a good customer I probably would not have been offered the chance. I thought it might be too much bike but I immediately felt comfortable on it, not intimidated at all, but completely respectful of its potential and opportunity to get me in trouble. Everything in moderation.

So I have had a good time here and learned a lot about the FZ1, it's quirks and it's strong points which has enabled me to enjoy it more. But time to move on to new adventures. Everyone take care and let's continue to enjoy the great stuff Yamaha is putting out now, some great things coming out of the mothership.

Great choice of bike! I'm sure you'll have many great years with it. Hopefully your joints are in good shape from all the arm stretching you're going to do! All the best in the future!

Congratulations on the new ride! I too went from a 2012 FZ1 to a -10 back in July,and no regrets so far,i love the -10. The Fz1 is a great ride,but the -10 just does everything better,besides the horrible fuel mileage.

Back