Throttle.

DonnieBee

I had mentioned this in an earlier thread, but si ce my problem was solved, I think I lost the ears of forum members.

Is there a way to smooth out the feel of the throttle grip itself?

As it turns, especially in the lower gears it has a hair trigger feel. Kinda light weight and sticky feeling. It's always been that way, so I know it's common, so I'm hoping their is a mod out there that will make the throttle turn like butter, and be more sensitive And responsive.

Thanks in advance.:squid[1]:

I had mentioned this in an earlier thread, but si ce my problem was solved, I think I lost the ears of forum members.

Is there a way to smooth out the feel of the throttle grip itself?

As it turns, especially in the lower gears it has a hair trigger feel. Kinda light weight and sticky feeling. It's always been that way, so I know it's common, so I'm hoping their is a mod out there that will make the throttle turn like butter, and be more sensitive And responsive.

Thanks in advance.:squid[1]:

Only way that I know of is to have the bike properly mapped for the modifications. A PCIII or PCV and put on a dyno has done wonders for the members who have done it. The trottle is a bit touchy and this is worsened by a pipe and airbox mod without proper tuning. I know this because I have yet to get mine tuned for the pipe and K&N. Plan to do it in the fall as it still runs great, I just have to be smooth with the throttle.

It shouldn't be sticky at all so this isn't common. This is generally caused by a couple of things. First is the cables need to be lubricated. Get a good cable lube kit and work on it until they slide VERY freely. Next, without the cables hooked up, because you are lubing them.... twist the throttle back and forth to see if it glides or does it catch anywhere. You may have to remove this and clean then lube this as well.

Make sure that you adjust it for a little bit of free play when you assemble it.

Hope this helps!

Always been this way,

But maybe it was never properly prepped out of the box. Would a new throttle cable help? Would it have to be lubed or would it come that way?

I have a cramp buster since I do a lot of touring and have found that keeping a portion of the heel of my palm in contact with it helps at that crucial point in 2nd rolling up out of tight turns to keep it from that jumpy thing it does. That's what I mean by hair trigger.

Oh forgot!

No mods. All stock but for iridium plugs, Corbin beetle bags, lower fairings and I drilled a half dozen small holes in the baffles so I could hear the damn thing. Quietest bike I ever heard!

New cables typically come with a dry graphite lube in them but I always apply a bit more before putting them on. I prefer a dry lube over an oil-based. Oil based lubes tend to pull in more dirt and dust and gum up quicker.

I'd at least try lubing these first and see if that frees them up. It's a lot cheaper! ;)

Back