This thIng is fast! How do I make it faster?

Area57

I'm impressed, sometime I want a full fairing sport bike, but every time I ride one, nothing short of an r1 impresses me. I know almost nothing, but I do love how there is so much pull all across the rpm range.

I rode a ninja zx6rr today and while I loved the looks and the riding position it just isn't as fast.

Plus the brakes seemed spongy. My FZ1 are tight but this Ninja you really had to pull to engage them. Is that a normal? I haven't ridden many motorcycles.

Do I just happened to have lucked into one of the faster road bikes out there? Is there much reason to get an r1 besides cosmetics?

What can I do to make mine a little faster. It has a slip on yoshim exhaust which may do something to add speed. I have also heard about Ivan's jet and a Dyno something. I just donot know what these things do. What would you recommend and is there any way to find out if the previous owner already put them on?

I suggest you learn how to ride before spending money on mods that make the bike faster.

Get some experience under your belt first, theses bikes are fast enough even stock.

Last edited:
For a street bike going from Zero to Ticket in first gear is usually fast enough unless you like risking losing your license.

For some reason it sounds like a Troll is lurking here.

Although the bike is pretty quick stock there is definitely room for improvement with mods. A lower 16T front sprocket is a good recommendation also a slip-on with no cat, ECU reflash and tune, smaller secondary flies, and a quick shifter.

What difference would the gen 1 have with his recommendations?

I may not NEED it to be faster, I'm just curious what I can do to make it. It's just for fun. I'm just planning on keeping the bike for a while since I like it so much more than I thought I would. It's fun to think about future upgrades,

Last edited:
Skills - working on every day. And they are getting better. A lot better.

Suspension - that is on my list to work on. Like I said. I don't have experience with a lot of different motorcycles but it feels soft to me. Especially in the front. I think it might be adjusted as loose as possible.

Jet kit. - that goes to the carburetor right? Allows a more rich oxygen fuel ratio? Is Ivan's the only one for the gen 1 fz1?

I don't know why I always get called a troll. I'm never mean to anyone or make fun of anyone. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to make improvements with my bike. None of us need a faster bike unless we are competitively racing. Otherwise a 500 would be plenty and none of us should have an fz1.

I do need to improve my "launch". I'm not entirely sure how to properly do it without either stalling the engine or doing a wheelie. It's supposed to hit 0-60 in less than 3 seconds but I bet I don't come anywhere close to that.

I really just like the pull I get when I am cruising on the highway and want to pass someone and really hit the throttle and feel it jump. That's what I want to improve.

For gearing right now I have 45 in the back in a new chain and sprocket.

It's just for fun. Keep in mine less than two months ago I had never ridden a motorcycle.

The suspicion about being a troll probably comes from the serious lack of basic mechanical knowledge, and the resulting questions. It's nothing personal. Picture of you and your bike would put that to rest fairly quickly. Forums are for sharing knowledge and showing off your toys and we try to keep it helpful and civil. That said nobody likes to be taken for a fool.

As far as the Gen 1 question goes, it was the ECU which the Gen 1 does not have. Gen 2 has throttle bodies not Carburetor with jets.

Skill improvements cost nothing unless you sign up for track days. If you want to get fast that would be the best way. Seat time is the other obvious way, costing only gas and your time.

Oh, and as far as suspension goes, it is By Far the best money spent on a motorcycle period. I would spend money improving suspension long before trying to get any more power out of an already very fast bike. Get a local with experience to help you dial in your stock shock and forks for your weight. Or do a bunch of reading and do it yourself, just make sure you understand what you are doing.

Last edited:
Where in the Pacific Northwest are you? Maybe one of the other members near you can help with your suspension setting and discuss riding techniques to help you with getting quicker.
Good to see quality gear for riding. Careful with roadside selfies, around here that is taking your life in your hands with all the distracted drivers.

Try to get over the fascination with speed. A bike can be ridden fast by almost anyone. A bike ridden with skill and smoothness is far more rare and a thing to behold. A skilled rider makes it look effortless, and in reality it nearly is when your skill and knowledge progresses to that point. This goes for any type of riding be it racing or off-road.

I love the feeling of carving through corners relaxed and in the groove without having to break the law. Climbing a rocky steep hill on my big bike that a year ago I thought impossible (without any effort) is just as satisfying. Time and experience can't be rushed. Enjoy the process!

Last edited:
Back