This is annoying me, want to weigh in?

protection

Okay, so this is irratating me.
Cheap car from India could cost $8,000 in US- Yahoo! Autos Article Page

3x mark up in the American market? I mean, really? :jaw drop:

So, if you do buy this car, you know that you're spending 8k+ on a car that cost less then $2,500 to produce. And that is AFTER the saftey and emission standards are implemented.

Do you think that if our cheapest car was say, 7k rather than 9.9, it'd only be 6k here?

First of all, would you really want to put anyone that you cared for in one of those?!
Second: Can you imagine what would happen to the North American auto industry that is (for the most part) owned by you the taxpayer if they brought over a $2500 car. Would there be any decent paying union jobs left, or any benefits for those employees?

Be careful what you wish for.

No, no, no. You have it all wrong.

I don't wish for that car to come here by any means. I'd rather it stay in India.

And as for saftey, there would be an inheriant risk of buying that car. You know it's not going to be safe.

Almost like getting on a motorcycle. You know if you get hit, chances are, you're going to get hurt.

Safety is in the head

No, no, no. You have it all wrong.

I don't wish for that car to come here by any means. I'd rather it stay in India.

And as for saftey, there would be an inheriant risk of buying that car. You know it's not going to be safe.

Almost like getting on a motorcycle. You know if you get hit, chances are, you're going to get hurt.

I would rather ride a Honda Rukus wearing flip flops and a salad bowl than be seen in one of those. At least that way I would expect the ridicule.

As far as the safety thing goes. Driver education and less tolerance for poorly skilled or inattentive drivers would go a lot further than building (airbag filled tanks) for drivers ever will. Maybe if they build all the new cars without airbags, had steel dashes(like in the 60's), with stickers on said dash that stated: If you have a wreck you WILL be hurt ! Maybe people might pay attention to what they should be.

Agreed.

Cars today are built to crumble around the driver and keep them safe in the event of an accident.

60's Detroit Iron was not so forgiving. They attribute most deaths from the shock transffering from the cars metal body/frame to the driver.

If that was still the situation, I doubt so many people would be willing to text/talk on the phone while driving. It's almost got me hit several times now.

Did get hit in my truck once. I was at a stoplight, driver behind me hit me full on at 50mph, didn't touch her brakes.

She was texting.

Solution found

For about $300.00 total you can build your own right here on this side of the pond. The body is imported from China. The power-train can be had at Home depot, (your choice of brand- Chainsaw) Import location varies by brand. I believe it was the same inspiration that Tata used, and a much better value. Best of all it would have little or no impact on Auto manufacturing jobs here.

Sold.

Haha.

Anyhow, not that it would effect me in anyway, it just seemed like an outrageous mark up.

The normal retail markup is 400%. So when you pay $50.00 for a pair of Levi jeans they are actually worth $12.50 to the manufacturer.

With the Tata it is just as well that they jack up the price. Hopefully it will keep a lot of people from buying such junk for "price point" alone. Remember the Hyundai Pony? Do you still see those on the road? I can't remember the last time I saw one. They were cheap though, In every sense of the word !:waiting:

:nerd:
Remember the Hyundai Pony? Do you still see those on the road? I can't remember the last time I saw one. They were cheap though, In every sense of the word !:waiting:

. . .. that is what I drive . .
:nerd:

images

Last edited:
All I have to say is remember the Yugo? Only $3990 (or something like that). Most of the engines seized within the first few thousand miles. What a joke that car was. I'd rather buy a used quality car than a new crappy car.

Last edited:
Back