The indestructible muffler cat?

troyw

Hello All,

I embarked, foolishly I realize now, on the 2 cat removals from the header and the muffler. The header cat was minimal trouble. The muffler cat, after an entire day, is still a butchered mess inside. I have tried hole saws, drill bits, metal drill bits that look like they could drill through solid iron like butter, pounding a screw driver in, more drilling...
So far, my back aches, my hands hurt, and I'm dirty, but that cat is still there, mocking me with its impervious strength. WTF is going on with this? How long is this thing? I keep drilling...and drilling...and drilling...
I'm worried I may not be able to complete this, and then I'll be stuck. I didn't get the impression from other threads that it would be THIS difficult. If anyone has any ideas, please chime in. My neighbor offered his shotgun. I may take him up on it.
I have done some tough cat removals in my days, but I have never seen anything like this one.:disapproval:
- Troy

Some guys have sawed through the thing but I'm not sure how long it takes to get the whole thing out of there. Other than making the muffler louder, I highly doubt you'll get much performance gain out of it. You more than likely should have spent the money for a new can and kept your $1000 muffler intact. I hope others can help you out on this and I also hope that before more riders think they're going o get a performance gain from chopping their OEM equipment they keep their stock stuff and buy actual performance equipment so they will still have the stock stuff for any resale later down the road.

A stock pipe **might** bring in $25 for ya.... gutting the cats is pretty normal... and you do get a gain from it... yeah, you get a gain from aftermarket as well, but that costs $400-$500 for a decent slip on.... I'm not saying that the gutted pipe should be the final solutions... but until you get the money to buy a aftermarket... gutted is just fine... and when you buy the aftermarket, take the stocker, and throw it in the trash.... or sell it to another member for the cost of shipping so that they don't have to go through the hassle... but when it comes down to it, the stock pipe is worth nothing... stock or gutted... I've talked to some members who have tried to sell their pipes... and ended up spending more on shipping than they got for the pipe... so they actually had to pay to give the pipe away... Great deal.

Yeah, you're right about stock stuff. Never gets much money back. Too late for my stock muffler though. I had a great idea to get the stuffing out of the cat, but then I went one whack too far and the screw driver went right out the side of the muffler. Anyone got a stock muffler in new shape they'd be willing to sell? It's either that or I'm going to now have to find a slip-on. But then I'm going to have to get something to replace the EXUP valve motor so error codes don't pop up, right? Geez. My wife is so ticked at me. We WERE debt free...
I've really got to stop screwing with this stuff.

- T.

Yeah, you're right about stock stuff. Never gets much money back. Too late for my stock muffler though. I had a great idea to get the stuffing out of the cat, but then I went one whack too far and the screw driver went right out the side of the muffler. Anyone got a stock muffler in new shape they'd be willing to sell? It's either that or I'm going to now have to find a slip-on. But then I'm going to have to get something to replace the EXUP valve motor so error codes don't pop up, right? Geez. My wife is so ticked at me. We WERE debt free...
I've really got to stop screwing with this stuff.

- T.
It may be way too late, for this is an old thread, but I have my stock muffler in near perfect condition, and I live 30minutes from jasper, GA so no shipping is necessary.
'
Let me know if you still need it.

Dr, I think ol Troy has several different aftermarket exhausts to play around with at the moment. Just a heads up ;)

Well, well...JD, nice to see you over here too.

Yeah, I destroyed that stock can, and just as well. Got the full Yosh TRC system and am using a Scorpion slip-on with it. Nice to have two can options!
Next bike...whenever that is...I'll go right for the good stuff instead of trying to make stock junk work better. I have the feeling I'll be sticking with this FZ1 a loooong time though. Lovin' it.

Back