Temperature Light is on - Even when I just turn the key

Hey Guys,
My temperature light came on during my last road trip and I finally got a chance to look at things last night. I checked all my fluids and they are good. I decided to check things out by turning the key when the engine was cold. - The light was still on. :ugh:

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm really trying to avoid the repair shop on this one.

It's tough to take a pic of a the lighted gauges but here is the best I could do. This light looks strange to me. It is a dull yellow color. I can't explain it any better but I just thought that the light would be brighter. Could that be a clue?

IMAG0170.jpg

I thought that the lights would show up better at night but I will try again at day break.
As with all my posts - I welcome any ideas that you may have. Please feel free to throw out any ideas.

I have not done any electrical mods. In fact the only mod I have done is put on an M4 slip on. Other than that - nothing.

If the picture is how it looks.... the temp light isn't on... the temp light is very very bright....

just to be sure, you can trace back to the temperature sending unit... make sure the connections are clean...

If the picture is how it looks.... the temp light isn't on... the temp light is very very bright....

just to be sure, you can trace back to the temperature sending unit... make sure the connections are clean...

I thought that something looked weird about this light. OK - I will pull the cluster off when it's daylight and I can see a little better. I'm really anxious to see what is going on in there.

Found the problem and wanted to post it up for anyone who has this problem in the future. It was the sensor behind the radiator cap. I found this by unplugging this sensor and turning the key to start. This isolated the problem and let me confirm what was up.

Mfg Product Number: 5JJ-83591-00-00
Description: THERMO UNIT for 2001 YAMAHA FZ1

Big thanks to Elfguy who walked me through it. Really smart guy and very nice. I couldn't have done it without him.:cheers:

Back