TCX Competizione S Gore-Tex boots

Dustin

Decided to bite the bullet and upgraded my every day boots with something a bit more serious. I have been using some TCX X-Five GoreTex touring boots but wasn't fully comfortable with the lack of protection.

I have been really happy with the quality and comfort of TCX boots so I searched for something that would fit the bill from them and found the Competizione S GoreTex from a UK eBay seller. $260 delivered to my door and only took three days to arrive! Shocking!

Initial impressions are positive and I am glad to have more armour, a torsion control system on the ankle and toe sliders. The GoreTex is the most important factor --remember the Cali trip and my wet foot misery? I know GoreTex ain't cheap so I think I scored.

Thanks, Dustin. Those are some seriously nice boots. I just sold my brand new S-MX 5 Gore Tex Alpinestars because they wouldn't fit under my riding pants and I didn't think they had enough lateral support. These things look like they do. After having five surgeries to "Recoonstruct" my ankle this is a sore (teehee) point with me. I'm a little reluctant to order from England without trying them on, as return fees could get costly. How do their sizes run? Been looking at some S-MX R Gore Tex and they seem like they offer good lateral support. Or maybe Sidi Cobra Rain. Dunno.

I have a pair of S-MX 5 as well and use them for hot and dry days. I run an EU 41 in Alpinestars and TCX and both brands fit me very well. One of the reasons I didn't get the S-MX 5 WP is because they are not GoreTex and not a breathable membrane. I looked into this and that was the deal-breaker for me for an every day boot. Even imitation GoreTex doesn't compare

It's a shame as the S-MX 5 is a hell of a good boot.

So to answer your question, the TCX should fit similar to Alpinestars... in my case at least

Last edited:
Time for an update

So it's been over two years and tens of thousands of miles of use with these TCX boots. Aside from regular wear and tear, they are absolutely perfect still. The Gore-Tex liner has never, ever let me down and every other aspect of this boot is holding up very well indeed. Maybe in a year's time I might need to replace the soles and have a few stitches reinforced but other than that they are tremendous.

My boots live a hard life and this speaks volumes for the quality of TCX products

I like these so much that I jumped on a clearance sale at fc-moto and bought a new pair to replace the current ones when they eventually wear out. I've got them stashed away in their box until that day. I'm now at 2.5 years with these boots and no end in sight yet. For me, this is unheard of. Very good quality and I expect the next pair to last just as long

TCX-Competizione-S-GTX.jpg

:D

Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago, one of my boots sprung a leak during a very wet commute. Well, I was satisfied with retiring them after 4 hard years of use but I thought I'd contact Gore to inquire about their 'guaranteed to keep you dry' warranty. Well, they were very helpful & quick to respond and requested I send my boots out for inspection. I got an email from them today saying they approved my claim and will write me a cheque for my full purchase amount. Nice warranty!

Back