Tank side protection

I am looking to put something on the side of my fuel tank to protect the finish. I thought of getting some protective film from a store that does windows. I have seen some items on the web that are bumpy for traction, if you have those, do you like them? If you have something on the side of your tank and like it or don't let me know what you think.

I have the stomps, black on the red. Universal size. I cut one size to fit, then templated that to the other side. One side went on perfect; other side had a couple bubbles. exacto knife holed and perfect.

Don't do tank protector in front of seat as sometimes I have to slide across the tank. Bike doesn't care.

Are you going to apply the scotchgard yourself? I read on the 3M site and they "highly encourage a pro installer". I have not installed it before and have read that it is a one time application but you can take it off. On ebay I saw a 1'X3' roll of the scotchgard for $18 plus 5$.50 for shipping.

Here is another link to some precut items for the FZ1:
2008 Yamaha FZ1 Paint Protection

I tried the Tech Spec tank grips on my R1 and they were great. Much better than Stomp Grips IMO.
I'm not sure if Tech Spec do pre-cut sets for the FZ1 but if they do, I'll be getting a set.

Are you going to apply the scotchgard yourself? I read on the 3M site and they "highly encourage a pro installer". I have not installed it before and have read that it is a one time application but you can take it off. On ebay I saw a 1'X3' roll of the scotchgard for $18 plus 5$.50 for shipping.

Here is another link to some precut items for the FZ1:
2008 Yamaha FZ1 Paint Protection

There is a trick to applying it yourself and a little reseach can help you there, the pros use a spray to moisten the surface before application that help remove any air bubbles. I have seen it done.

The kit that you have the link for is probably your best bet as the price is right for pre cut, model specific material.

There is a trick to applying it yourself and a little reseach can help you there, the pros use a spray to moisten the surface before application that help remove any air bubbles. I have seen it done.

Yea, that's the trick alright :tup: You can use the same method even for adhesive backed ones. This is how window tint material and large vinyl stickers are applied as well. Just need to give it a day or so to dry out before applying pressure on it.

If you are looking for a protective film that will be invisible then there are several companies that sell it including 3M. I bought mine in bulk form from Imortal Graphix and cut the pieces myself. In my case I wanted to protect the tank right where my legs wrap around it plus put it over my decals to keep them from beig damaged in washing, wind, etc. The larger the area to be covered, the more difficult the process is. Compound curves are especially tricky and demand that you get one section stuck real good then through stretching, blend the material into and around the curves. I've done quite a few and it really helps to have a couple extra hands and a heat source like a hair dryer. If you take your time, no one will ever know it's there. The solution I was told to use as an alternative to the "store bought" stuff was 8 oz. water, 1tsp. alcohol, and 1 drop of dishwashing liquid and I mean ONLY 1 drop. It worked like a champ for me.

Back