Sudden Oil Leak

Hey guys,
My Gen 1 developed an oil leak out of the blue this week. Yesterday when I started her up in the morning I noticed a burning oil smell and saw a small puddle under the bike, oil was slowly dripping onto the headers. I did not have time to take my car to work so i just rode it down and back and it did drop about 10 drops of oil during the day while parked.

Today I checked to make sure the Oil Filter was not loose, and I still need to get under her and clean all the oil off the motor and take a closer look, but I think it might be coming from where the Sprocket connects to the transmission, is that a place where oil can leak from? I actually have the day off on Thursday to work on some stuff for my car n truck, so I will be adding this to the list. I am just shocked at how sudden it was and the amount of oil. My other Gen 1 never leaked, and I have owned this bike for nearly 2 years now.

I will post up more info when I have time to start digging into it and take some pictures.

Mine did the same thing last winter. I also thought it was the output shaft. But it turned out that It was the gasket on the cover where your shifter shaft comes out of (manual calls is a cover, generator 2) I believe the gasket p/n was 5JJ-1563-01-00. Took about 20 minutes to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine did the same thing last winter. I also thought it was the output shaft. But it turned out that It was the gasket on the cover where your shifter shaft comes out of (manual calls is a cover, generator 2) I believe the gasket p/n was 5JJ-1563-01-00. Took about 20 minutes to change.

Thanks for the note, hopefully that is it.

Do you recall, did your local shop have that gasket or did it have to be special ordered? If I have time today I will dig around some and see if I can identify it being that same part, if I get it ordered perhaps I can replace it this week.

I ordered it off partshark.com. Only because it was snowing the next week and I wouldn't be riding anyway. But the dealer would be able to get it sooner in sure.

But if you order it online you might as well order the r1 shifter arm and perform that mod since you have to remove it anyway! [emoji106][emoji106]

Shorter shifter throw. Makes aggressive riding more enjoyable. Doesn't sound like that's for you though.

So today I had time to remove the Front Sprocket cover and found something really interesting.....

20150129_115615_zps92ah0i5m.jpg

The Nut to hold on the front Sprocket was missing......, I looked down and it was sitting along with the lock washer in a bunch of grease buildup where the kickstand is mounted to the frame. I pulled them off and cleaned them up and went to put ot back together and found the Nut was able to screw on and them popped when it got to the tightening spot, I puled it off and noticed the Threads were not stripped but very worn down.

So I went to my local shop and ordered a new nut.... so She is parked until then... Funny thing, after a good cleaning and pushing the sprocket back into place the oil leak is gone. My guess is this part got loose and fell off and the front sprocket was moving around and letting oil out of the motor. I am hoping when I put the new Nut back on that leak will be gone.

20150129_115611_zpsmyhwvj1r.jpg

Geez, good catch! I wonder why that happened and if it will happen again

The threads in the Nut that hold the sprocket in place were rounded and worn so the nut would not tighten all the way down, it would get near tight and then pop loose again. The Lock washer can only do so much at that point and I guess the vibrations finally spun it all the way off. The threads on the Shaft coming out of the transmission look just fine, and the lock washer is in good shape. Once I get the new nut and put it back together I will let everyone know if the oil leak stops at this point.

I am still kinda shocked the nut and washer were just sitting there, I rode at least 300 miles since the leak started on Monday.....

I would buy another lock washer if I were you. That one has had it's day already. I wouldn't be leaving anything to chance if that had happened to me. They only cost a few dollars.

Sent from my Nexus 5

The lock washer is actually in really good shape, it looks like it was replaced when I had my chain last replaced.

I put everything together last night and took the bike for a quick spin around the neighborhood and thought everything was done, and then this morning I found another puddle of oil..... So I am going to have to dig back in again.

As far as I could tell the oil was coming from behind the front sprocket. Does that mean the seal between the sprocket and the transmission has gone out?

Maybe a dumb question, but what kind of chain lube are you using? I used a brand a couple of years ago that didn't "harden" like my typical wax. In warm weather, it would drip a little bit. Once I realized what was going on, I cleaned the chain and sprockets, threw the can away, and went back to using Maxima exclusively.

I know it's unlikely, but thought I'd throw it out there as something else to consider.

Sent from Tapatalk on my Note 4.

If you drove it any distance with the nut off, there would be a good chance that you wrecked the seal because without the nut being tight the shaft would be able to wiggle causing premature wear to the seal.

Maybe a dumb question, but what kind of chain lube are you using? I used a brand a couple of years ago that didn't "harden" like my typical wax. In warm weather, it would drip a little bit. Once I realized what was going on, I cleaned the chain and sprockets, threw the can away, and went back to using Maxima exclusively.

I know it's unlikely, but thought I'd throw it out there as something else to consider.

Sent from Tapatalk on my Note 4.

I use Maxima, it is not chian lube dripping.

If you drove it any distance with the nut off, there would be a good chance that you wrecked the seal because without the nut being tight the shaft would be able to wiggle causing premature wear to the seal.

I think that is the issue.... Anyone know how hard it is to change that seal? Am I going to have to take it into the shop for this fix?

Back