Stuttering at Idle (and Low Throttle) on Gen II with 15k on the bike

Sactown2008

Anyone ever had the Gen II running fine everyday, then the one day while it is idling or low throttle is has a hesitation?

I rode to work and the gym last night. Bike running great, like always. It has not had ANY servicing other than I do oil changes and clean/lube chain. This morning the wife wants to bike-pool to work, I fire it up and I notice an irregular idle. All the way to her work(5 miles away) at idle or low throttle, I feel a hiccup in the engine, but it appears to go away as I add more throttle. I dropped her and returned the bike to my backyard and took her car top work.

Hopefully I can get it to the dealer this morning. I have my first Track Day(a sampler) at Thunder Hill in Willows, CA on Monday the 25th. When I had to replaced the back tire at 13k(flat), the Service Manager said, "We should check the plugs, but it sounds great, so lets not bother until the 16k Service."

:surrender::surrender::surrender:

Just had the very same issue, erratic idle and a hiccup or even bucking between idle and 2000 rpm. Found the bad cylinder with one of those laser temp reading guns. Bad cylinder was 30F cooler than the others. Replaced the coil and plug for that cylinder and all is well now. I actually think that coil was slowly failing since the day I bought the bike. Been chasing a goofy idle and intermittent off idle stumble for a LONGGGGGGGGGGG time. She's running better than ever now. I'm not even at 5000 miles with a bad coil. ( its VERY common for the FZ1, R1 and R6 )

EDIT ... and the coil did test within spec ! Don't trust a simple OHM check, it often wont pick up an intermittent failure

Last edited:
Back