Stator or Rectifier? Please Help

To start off I have an '09 FZ1. It's one hell of a bike and I'm never getting rid of it. The only electrical modifications I have done are LED front flush mounts, USB charger, and added a small strip of LED rear running lights on the rear.

Issues:
-Went to start the bike. Wouldn't crank. Purchased new battery.
-No issues for a while since I was riding it daily.
-Noticed on long trips and my phone plugged in that it would stop charging randomly then start charging again. On long enough rides my phone would eventually die (if it was low to begin with)
-Bike sat for 1.5-2 weeks due to storms rolling through.
-Went to ride, wouldn't crank. (turned out to be a trend if it sat for a week or more)
-Now it is must worse. I can jump the bike, ride for 30 min, stop for gas, and it won't start back up.

Once I am able to crank it I have absolutely no issues other than phone charging dropping out.

I am not experienced with electrical work at all. I learn how to do things as issues or new projects come up. I would like to do this myself, so if you have any input, suggestions, items to check any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Hi,
Rectifiers usually go bad before a stator does. I would check the connection between the stator and rectifier also in case it is burned out (happened to me on my VFR800 I had).
My first thought would be to change the rectifier and see if the problem goes away.
If it does not, I'd say the stator would need to be replaced as well.

Hope this helps.

Here's a helpful guide to get you started.

[video=youtube;YvRe9g_2gyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvRe9g_2gyM[/video]

You should be able to test and repair everything with just a volt meter and basic tools. Good luck

Hi,
Rectifiers usually go bad before a stator does. I would check the connection between the stator and rectifier also in case it is burned out (happened to me on my VFR800 I had).
My first thought would be to change the rectifier and see if the problem goes away.
If it does not, I'd say the stator would need to be replaced as well.

Hope this helps.

what this guy said, is what i was gonna type, sans vfr800 experience.

connectors can burn out, easy swap. rectifier itself, easy swap. stator, more expensive, but easy swap. but thats the order i'd go in.

Hi,
I had the same dilemma on my SV1000. I got the following info for alternator test from Suzuki, but I am sure that the readings given here would be the same.The Yamaha stator will also have 3 wires from it. The Suzuki stator wires are yellow, I'm not sure what the FZ1 colours are, but all 3 will be the same colour.
GENERATOR COIL RESISTANCE

Disconnect the generator coupler plug at the harness.
Measure the resistance among the three lead wires .
If the resistance is not specified value, replace the stator with a
new one. Also, check that the generator core is insulated .

Generator coil resistance : 0 .2 - 0.7 Ohm (Yellow - Yellow)
- Infinate (Yellow - Ground)

Tester knob indication on multimeter : Resistance (Ohm)
NOTE:
When making above test, it is not necessary to remove the generator.

GENERATOR NO-LOAD PERFORMANCE

Disconnect the generator coupler at tha harness .

Don't disconnect the crankshaft position sensor coupler .

Start the engine and keep it running at 5 000 r/min .
Using the multi circuit tester, measure the voltage among the
three lead wires from the stator .
If the tester reads under the specified value, replace the generator
with a new one .
Generator no-load performance :
75 V and more at 5 000 r/min (When engine is cold)

Multimrter Tester knob indication: Voltage (AC)

If the stator is ok then it is the rectifier. Measure the voltage at the battery with the bike running at say 3000 rpm. You should be getting 12-14 volts DC on the meter, If lower than this then the rectifier is fried.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Anatu

Thanks for all the help guys! I have a feeling I will be revisiting this shortly.

I checked everything I possibly could with a multimeter and everything, for the most part, came back within range. I took it to a local shop and they told me I had a dead battery. Obviously, I am aware of that, but pretty sure that isn't the cause of all my problems. I don't believe they looked into it any further after that. I picked up the bike and take it to Advance Auto just to have the battery checked you, you know, for sh*ts and gigs. Well turns out they do not have a way to run a check on the lithium batteries they sell and mine was 2 days out of warranty. They hooked me up and gave me a new one. I'm thinking this is a band-aid fix and the bike is mostly running off of the battery, since it still will not charge my phone.

Only time will tell. When I took the bike back out for the first time after having all this fixed I headed to the Back of the Dragon in Virginia. Well on my way back I feel the rear end is just floating along. Get back and start messing with it. Turns out the R1 shock I have the rear snapped... THE FREAKING ROD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SPRING BROKE COMPLETELY IN HALF!!!!!

,I would be checking all connection`s any bare wires etc on mods, disconnecting usb etc not saying this is the fault but from experience a lot of problems are cause by faulty mods/wiring

Thanks for all the help guys! I have a feeling I will be revisiting this shortly.

I checked everything I possibly could with a multimeter and everything, for the most part, came back within range. I took it to a local shop and they told me I had a dead battery. Obviously, I am aware of that, but pretty sure that isn't the cause of all my problems. I don't believe they looked into it any further after that. I picked up the bike and take it to Advance Auto just to have the battery checked you, you know, for sh*ts and gigs. Well turns out they do not have a way to run a check on the lithium batteries they sell and mine was 2 days out of warranty. They hooked me up and gave me a new one. I'm thinking this is a band-aid fix and the bike is mostly running off of the battery, since it still will not charge my phone.

Only time will tell. When I took the bike back out for the first time after having all this fixed I headed to the Back of the Dragon in Virginia. Well on my way back I feel the rear end is just floating along. Get back and start messing with it. Turns out the R1 shock I have the rear snapped... THE FREAKING ROD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SPRING BROKE COMPLETELY IN HALF!!!!!

new shock is cheap. and in a month you haven't addressed the charging issue? cmon guy!

also, damn you...the one time i was riding through there i got caught in massive thunder and rain storms and couldn't actually ride it, had to just charge onward down the highway

Guess it was that battery... Kinda makes me feel like an idiot but oh well. Took the usb charger off, installed a new battery, and new rectifier, no problems with starting since. Now I'm going to start a new thread for yet another issue...

Back