Static sag thread?

I cant find how to set up your static sag I know its on here somewhere but I'm having no luck. Btw the bike feels like its set up for a 300 pound beef cake. Bumps throw me into the tank and squish the jewels lol. It doesn't seem to have settled very much either.

Last edited:
set your total sag at about 30mm. If your spring is of a correct rate your static sag will be about 10mm. If you have significantly less than 10mm of static sag your spring rate is much too low for your weight. If you have significantly more than 10mm your spring rate is too high.
now you can readjust your total sag to personal preferance anywhere from 25-40mm based on riding style.
It sounds like you already know this, but just in case...
static sag is the shocks/forks compression under just the bikes weight without a rider.
Total sag includes riderweight.

You don't say what year bike you are riding. a 1st generation 2001-2005 is so grossly undersprung stock that you are likely bottoming out the shock which is what is causing the rough ride. 2006 bikes had too high a spring rate from the factory for most riders, especialy very light ones. This could also cause a rough ride. Both of these assume a completely stock suspension.
If neither of these are the case, Have you tried adjusting your damping settings? This can have a bigger effect on rider comfort than spring rate.

Last edited:
at 135lbs the stock spring rate on a 2009 should be very close.
once you have your preload properly adjusted for your weight, try turning your damping adjustment/adjustments counterclockwise. This will soften the ride. Turned all the way out it will be very soft but will make the bike feel unsettled during agressive cornering. You will have to find a comprimise.
I ride a gen1 and weigh 100lbs more than you so I can't make any ball park suggestions. Suspension settings are a personal thing anyway and rarely do 2 people prefer the exact same settings.

you may find the info here helpful.
Suspension Setup Guide - Sport Rider Magazine

I'm only a little heavier than you at 150 (maybe a little less) and found backing off one ring on the forks preload and one notch on the rear spring made mine pretty much spot on for sag. I went 2 clicks softer on both compression and rebound for the forks and rear shock as well.

That made a marked improvement in the way my 09 handles and reacts on bumpy roads.

Using the two sheets in the "Homework Assignment" thread will make the whole process really easy for you... I even take all of the math out of it... you can just let the spreadsheets do all of the work....

I think that setting the static / rider sag should be the first thing anyone does to a new bike. People tend to focus on performance mods related to engine and power delivery, but rarely focus on suspension, which is the most important component of the bike.

Given this is a used bike, the PO likely set it up to his liking. I think your very first step is to make sure the shock and forks are all returned to factory settings FIRST, set static sag, then test.... make adjustments from there. :D You need to know exactly where your starting point is.

Using the two sheets in the "Homework Assignment" thread will make the whole process really easy for you... I even take all of the math out of it... you can just let the spreadsheets do all of the work....

I think that setting the static / rider sag should be the first thing anyone does to a new bike. People tend to focus on performance mods related to engine and power delivery, but rarely focus on suspension, which is the most important component of the bike.

Exactly what he said. And always start from the stock settings on the clickers.

Back