Iridium plugs have a MUCH longer service life than standard plugs do. For that reason alone, I always use them.

Well I am putting mine to the test this year. In an effort to keep costs down I didn't change mine after last season like I always do, so by the end of this season they will have over 40,000 kms on them.

Well I am putting mine to the test this year. In an effort to keep costs down I didn't change mine after last season like I always do, so by the end of this season they will have over 40,000 kms on them.

My bike comes with iridium from the factory and I believe the spec is something like 46,000 km or so. In cars, it's more than double that!

I get 40,000klms out of the standard CR9EK ones, with no difference in power or fuel use, so I would expect much more out of the CR9EIK type, one of the reasons I prefer standard ones is if they are left in too long sometimes they can be hard to remove

Last edited:
The last set of plugs in my car did 180000km. I thought they were iridium and checked. They were standard type. Makes me think is it worth the extra cost?

My 2007 FZ1 is around 26,000 miles (about 40,000 km) and still on original plugs. I plan to have them changed when I get the valves adjusted. I haven't decided on standard or iridium yet either. I think I'll just go standard. I don't really see a big advantage. Valve adjustments are every 24,000 miles anyway. Might as well change them then.

Back