Spark Plug Wire Upgrade?

so i recently pulled the wires to replace the plugs, and a couple of them (one one each coil) had the terminal stuck stuck to the coil and break off the wire. when i noticed the coils were kind of built onto the wires i started thinking if anyone has upgraded to a different setup, maybe coil on plug? or 4 separate coils with the regular pull off wires? wondering what people do to replace the wires in this situation, thanks for the read. its an 05 fz1 by the way.

Yea the wires are intregral part of the coil, the spark plug caps do easily pull off and get pushed back on the wires. The internals of the plug caps can also be disassembled and cleaned of corrosion.

In 20 years on FZ1OA I never saw anything that could be described as an upgrade or an alternative however, in my short time here I did see a member (can't remember name) say he had replaced the two OEM two wire coils with four single wire coils from a car.

I'm gonna let that member guide you or let you look for the post. The OEM coils are expensive ($50-$80 for two) even when used. Mounting four individual coils will take some creativity. My limited memory was that the post here said "GM style" or "Ford style" as opposed to a specific car model so you probably need to identify the member for better guidance.

Myself I'd stick with OEM (used).

Yea the wires are intregral part of the coil, the spark plug caps do easily pull off and get pushed back on the wires. The internals of the plug caps can also be disassembled and cleaned of corrosion.

In 20 years on FZ1OA I never saw anything that could be described as an upgrade or an alternative however, in my short time here I did see a member (can't remember name) say he had replaced the two OEM two wire coils with four single wire coils from a car.

I'm gonna let that member guide you or let you look for the post. The OEM coils are expensive ($50-$80 for two) even when used. Mounting four individual coils will take some creativity. My limited memory was that the post here said "GM style" or "Ford style" as opposed to a specific car model so you probably need to identify the member for better guidance.

Myself I'd stick with OEM (used).
i did notice the wire kind of acts as a plug with the cap, i pushed the wire back into the cap as far as it will go and will try to reassemble as is and hope for no miss. thanks for the guidance im going to search for that thread, i wonder if i can make the coil on plugs from second gens work on mine, ill look for that too. thanks for the respond.

looks like he took the harness from whatever bike the coils were from, and dissected them for the main leads to the plug and re-wired them as needed. thats badass, keeps it all plug n play and oem style. ill have to look into the fz's wire diagram and see what can be done

Back