Solid Riser Bushings????

I posted by accident in General Discussion and couldn't delete it. So I reposted here.

I came to my 05 FZ1 after my 04 Z1K was totaled last year. I am in the process of a custom build and noticed that the risers are mounted in very soft rubber bushings. This makes the bars feel spongy and the bike not as snappy to steering inputs. Does anyone know if there is a set of solid riser bushings that can be put in their place to solve this issue for the Gen 1's? Thank you in advance for any advice or help.

The part in question is number 12 on the exploded parts diagram attached.

Attachments

• RiserFZ1.PNG
    RiserFZ1.PNG
    137 KB · Views: 4
Ive never felt the issue. If you strike out i can machine you some one off billet slugs in a few months.

I'll hopefully be starting my garage repower next week, cause i dont have enough going on.

Ive never felt the issue. If you strike out i can machine you some one off billet slugs in a few months.

I'll hopefully be starting my garage repower next week, cause i dont have enough going on.
That would be amazing. How much would that cost me? I know why they put the risers on bushings. They want it to absorb vibrations and engine harmonics so it doesnt get transmitted into the bars but there is an easier way to do it. Silicone plugs in the bar end, fill bars with sand, then plug the other side. Did it on my Z. Night and day difference.

Its only weight right? I'll hunt this thread down once i got power to my lathe and we can hash out the details.
I only did it because of my situation at the time which is only worse now. My shoulder is mostly titanium from an injury sustained while in the service. Transient harmonics while riding really caused issues due to that. Now after being hit and nearly killed last year my left hand and most of my left leg are also filled with the fancy metal. If I have to add a few pounds for a little more comfort while riding I will do so gladly haha.
Sounds good. If I happen upon an acceptable alternate solution I will let you know via PM. Thank you.

You'll find that most of us are busted up on here. My left hand has been pins and needles for 3 years cause doctors didnt want to do a disc job in the middle of the beer flu. Just found out i need 2 discs now.

Personally, i think you should disassemble the assembly and truly find out how much dampening the bushing is doing. I bet its minimal.

FWIW there is a recent thread that goes into handlebar vibes and different ways riders on here have solved them.

Lastly. When i think custom anything high performance, weight loss is first on the list.

How was the Kaw for vibration?

Hope you find relief. I'm skeptical that removing the rubber baby buggy bushings will reduce vibration.

Have you tried some cheap foam grip covers like "Grip Puppies". They won't eliminate the the vibrations that are present in the handle bars of almost all in-line fours, but they do help to mask them.

You'll find that most of us are busted up on here. My left hand has been pins and needles for 3 years cause doctors didnt want to do a disc job in the middle of the beer flu. Just found out i need 2 discs now.

Personally, i think you should disassemble the assembly and truly find out how much dampening the bushing is doing. I bet its minimal.

FWIW there is a recent thread that goes into handlebar vibes and different ways riders on here have solved them.

Lastly. When i think custom anything high performance, weight loss is first on the list.
Dang, sorry to hear that. I hope your situation improves soon. Yes I agree. Only reason I know about that trick with the sand is I ran into an old fella one time at a gas station and got to talking. He's been doing it since the late 70's. I can physically wiggle the bars without the forks moving so the bushings are definitely wonky in some fashion or another.

How was the Kaw for vibration?

Hope you find relief. I'm skeptical that removing the rubber baby buggy bushings will reduce vibration.

Have you tried some cheap foam grip covers like "Grip Puppies". They won't eliminate the the vibrations that are present in the handle bars of almost all in-line fours, but they do help to mask them.
Ive tried grip puppies in the past but it just makes the grips feel too thick. IDK if thats just me or if its a more widely help view on them. In any case they just dont do it for me.
The vibration was almost non existent with sand filled bars. You really pack it in there so they are basically solid. Without the sand there was definitely vibrations. Im mainly trying to solve the spongy response from steering input over the vibration at this point. I know they make solid riser and poly bushings for the Bolt just not sure if they are the same size as the FZ1's.

I can physically wiggle the bars without the forks moving so the bushings are definitely wonky in some fashion or another.

You got me wondering so I just tried wiggling my 60K mile 01 and my other 275K mile 01. There's a tiny smidge of visual deflection with moderate pressure applied to bars when they are rotated to the fork stops. !/2 that deflection is the bar itself and the other half is bushing slop.

I'd say both of my bikes are behaving the way Mother Yamaha intended. Do mine vibrate?, Yep. Vibration changes over time with regards to new tires, new chains and sprockets, gloves worn and Grip Puppies but it's always there to some degree.

If your able to wiggle the bars without being up against the fork stops.... that sound excessive,.

You got me wondering so I just tried wiggling my 60K mile 01 and my other 275K mile 01. There's a tiny smidge of visual deflection with moderate pressure applied to bars when they are rotated to the fork stops. !/2 that deflection is the bar itself and the other half is bushing slop.

I'd say both of my bikes are behaving the way Mother Yamaha intended. Do mine vibrate?, Yep. Vibration changes over time with regards to new tires, new chains and sprockets, gloves worn and Grip Puppies but it's always there to some degree.

If your able to wiggle the bars without being up against the fork stops.... that sound excessive,.
Yes I also found the amount of play strange. Bike was in a dealership fire and only has 1 mile on it. Bushings are not burnt or melted so I didnt think they would act differently from a not burnt one haha. I just know as far as steering components are considered I have always liked a solid mount option over a bushed one.

The rubber mounts help reduce vibration but the side effect is that steering feels a bit "mushy". Not sure if they make some for the FZ1 but that is a common mod on the DRZ400, particularly the SM version.

The rubber mounts help reduce vibration but the side effect is that steering feels a bit "mushy". Not sure if they make some for the FZ1 but that is a common mod on the DRZ400, particularly the SM version.

[/URL]
I wonder if those would work considering they are tapered cone shaped. I am going to remove my bars and see if i can use a c clamp and get those bushings out to get some measurements.

I wonder if those would work considering they are tapered cone shaped. I am going to remove my bars and see if i can use a c clamp and get those bushings out to get some measurements.

I do find it odd that they don't have any make or model designations. Maybe shoot 'em an email or make a call?

Back