So...you think you can lean???

3ee661a4f692d28acad9a8ef52e3afb3.jpg

I've dragged pegs, boots and knees, but never an elbow. Like Danny Glover used to say; "I'm getting too old for that shit!" Things are getting too brittle and have a tendency to break off when I touch them down these days, as my hip is evidence of.

Everyday Tires

Can the road tires we put on these FZ1s lean very far? I put Conti Motions on my 08 at 8k (now have 12k on the bike). I have about 1/2" Chicken Strips, but was wondering how sticky road tires are. Knees are one thing, but elbows are INSANE.

:thewave:

Can the road tires we put on these FZ1s lean very far? I put Conti Motions on my 08 at 8k (now have 12k on the bike). I have about 1/2" Chicken Strips, but was wondering how sticky road tires are. Knees are one thing, but elbows are INSANE.

:thewave:
I'm not sure on the Conti Motions, but I'd bet they'd hold enough to get a peg down on the fz. (Provided you can handle that)

Road tires can lean to about 45 deg, so conti motion are not agressive tires, I never had these. The more sporty tires can go to 52 deg, well all depends on the form of the tire. The Moto GP tires have a very different size I think the height ratio is 70 and are very special.
It is not so much the lean angle but the acceleration when leaned over where road tires are much worse. If you go with constant speed through a corner a Pilot Road 3 is perfectly fine to drag a knee and I never had chicken strips on them. However lots of acceleration and braking will overheat it very fast and it will slip when leaned far. Sport tire like the Diablo Corsa are much better, the do not overheat that fast and are good for the Track (at least at my pace). I know A group riders that run Q3 or Diablo Corsa and have no problems other riders call these street tires or road tires. So in some sense yes road tire can lean so far.

I had a contimotion rear in mine last year, great tyre, but the FZ chomped it after 3k miles (sport/touring???)

It'll go to the edge quite happily, and grind them hero blobs off with ease. (snapped my left one off!!!) You've just got to trust them buddy! Most s/t tyres nowadays are pretty good, get on them twisties and LEAN! [emoji13]

Back