Snapped EXUP valve bolts off flush with header. Can't drill bolts out to re-tap.

Hi there I'm new here but I had the same issue so I wanted to chime in and see if I can help you out. I serviced my ex up valve about a month ago and I broke two bolts off flush as well just like you. I was able to drill them out but I broke off an easy out inside the one bolt trying to get it out and a bit in the other. the only reason I was able to fix this problem is because I'm up mechanic at an Industrial automotive Manufacturing Factory and I have access to high-end bits. I went to my place of employment at 2:30 in the morning to get some industrial Diamond and Cobalt tipped bits to remove the problem and it worked. They are not very expensive you can get them online in kits. Don't be fooled by the company Cobalt because they are not all Cobalt or diamond-tipped bits. Some people are misled by the company's name and buy regular bits hoping they are Cobalt tipped when they are not. I broke off an easy out in one bolt and a drill bit in the other. I had to go in to get the expensive Mill bits and use those. I ended up breaking one of those off as well but it was at the end so it didn't matter. I was able to get it out with a punch and Hammer. My point is that I have to deal with broken bolts and stripped threads on a daily basis and this presented a challenge for me. It can be extremely frustrating but someone made the comment of welding a nut to the bolt to get it off. That is very good advice. If you have access to a wire feed welder turn it a ways up and just do a quick tack weld. One continuous quick hot hit in the center. Hold a nut over the bolt and tack weld the center of the nut so that it will act as the head of the bolt. Normally the welding process heats up the broken bolt so much that it breaks free when Cooling. In the end I was able to get mine out and I even saved the original threads after Drilling out the old bolts even though I broke off bits in each one.

My problem was a rattley ex up that had burned out bushings on either end. I machined new bushings at my place of employment to fit my worn shaft. If you need some new bushings let me know! I made extras just in case and I have two at my house. If you want I will send them to you for free. They are made out of tool grade steel and I hardened them. They are tested on my bike and fit my valve perfect with no rattle. If you feel like your valve shaft has excessive wear then measure the housing in the shaft with the set of calipers and send me the numbers I will make you a set of bushings for free. I need to make some friends on this forum cuz Someday I'm sure I'll need help!
Code:

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That's very nice of you to offer that. I went through this same issue when I owned my Gen1 way back when. Snapped off one bolt and must have spent three days trying to extract it and God knows how many bits as well. I was finally able to drill through and tap the whole with new threads. Definitely not the most fun job, but that EXUP does need to be serviced. Thanks for the write-up.

Back