Smokey Mountians and beyond

Jumping on the Hondapotamas early Wed. am for a ride back east. Never in been in that part of the states so I am really jazzed for this ride and hope to rack up 7-8k miles by the time I get back to Ca.

Our Lytehouse has been kind enough to offer her home for a nights stay on Thursday, looking forward to meeting her and John. The next morning I'll push across Kansas, thankfully the cruise control will be my best friend.

Once there I'll be spending a week in research - are those roads in the Virginia's and Carolina's as much fun as the west? Tough job but someone has to do it. :)

Here's my spot tracker link if you care to spy on me. Doug

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=b4d954162c19596e3

It's morning here in Italy and I just checked Doug's Spot. Looks like he stopped in Salina for the night! 650 miles down already!

Last edited:
It looks like he's east of Wichita. I'm half way between St. Louis and Indy. Let me know if you will be close, but I bet you'll run south of me. Stay safe. Enjoy the ride!

I was away from the computer most of the ride. Home safe after 6,650 miles and a ton of pictures. I'll post up a ride report soon.

A big thank you to Lytehouse, Brenda and John put me up for one night when I was on my eastern journey. I really enjoyed the burgers on the grill and good conversation after dinner. Top notch folk who love to ride.

OK a few pictures but be warned most are on the fly as who would actually stop to take a picture? While enjoying the great wide open spaces of Nevada on my first day out I spy some what look like rain clouds near Utah. A click on the picture should make it larger.
IMG_2617_zps870cdf6c.jpg

Yep, it was looking like a little trouble when I saw a few bolts but as luck would have it my route skirted the storm. 685 miles to I 70 was a good first day.
IMG_2620_zps6679dca0.jpg

Day two had me crossing Colorado on I-70 and then south to spend the evening with Brenda and John (wonderful hosts). Not much room for a freeway in places but it is one of the few slabs that's enjoyable.
IMG_2639_zpsa185bb09.jpg

Once above 10,000 feet the colors were starting to show.
IMG_2645_zpse49e8810.jpg

Day three had me leaving Colorado springs for the wide open spaces of Kansas. Stopped by a VFW for breakfast when I saw the Huey. Can't remember the town but I believe I was still in Eastern Colorado. Nice memorial for those who served our country.
IMG_2651_zps2ed10099.jpg

I wish I would have had time to check out this display of old oil drilling equipment. I was surprised how many oil wells in SE Kansas
IMG_2661_zps416bafaa.jpg

A selfie with the Kansas setting sun behind me. Note the blue painters tape I scored from John, it made the perfect sun blocker and was there the rest of the trip.
IMG_2664_zps158c90f7.jpg

Here's the courthouse in downtown Nevada, Mo. Many towns I rode through had a square with the courthouse. How they laid out towns back in the day.
IMG_2682_zps65082e96.jpg

Traffic was a bitch
IMG_2688_zps701e54ee.jpg

But I did have to keep an eye out for the one horsepower rigs.
IMG_2687_zps706307d6.jpg

I'll be back with more pictures later.

My dad passed away last week so I've been out of town but finally have some time to post some more pics.

Finally made it to the big creek on day four.

IMG_2698_zps52ba7975.jpg

As a native from Minnesota I have crossed the Mississippi at the beginning so it was fun to see it at a larger stage and the steel work at the bridge made a cool design.

IMG_2712_zpsd6a001b2.jpg

I crossed into the bottom corner of Illinois and took an immediate right over the Ohio river into Kentucky. You can see the bridge over the Ohio river in the background on the right. I was surprised how much larger the Ohio river is than the Mississippi at this confluence.

IMG_2710_zps389784a8.jpg

You know your in Kentucky when you see Tobacco and the old Tobacco barns. Something I learned as a kid but my first time seeing the real deal.

IMG_2778_zpseef74932.jpg
IMG_2779_zpsb8ff6aaa.jpg

I stayed with my cousin and her husband (Joyce and Craig) near Bowling Green.With 2,400 miles in four days under my belt I took day five off from riding and we toured Mammoth Cave and the National Corvette Museum. Turns out Craig has a 53 Vette just like this one- worth a few bucks for sure.

IMG_2762_zpsb4022bf2.jpg

Loved the period piece display

IMG_2763_zps8d293879.jpg

Of course we had to check out the sink hole from last Feb. where it swallowed some vettes.

IMG_2753_zps29318986.jpg

These we much more trashed than I imagined.

IMG_2755_zpsc73cf3c1.jpg

The Virginia's and more soon.

Back